Why do people bash Catholics?

I have never understood this. Anyone care to explain?

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it is because they don't understand Catholics. Some people think Catholics aren't real Christians because they pray to Mary and not just Jesus and God. Other Christians think this is idolatry. Also, the form of worship or church is very different for Catholics than other religions except perhaps Lutherans. It can seem distant and alien if you didn't grow up with it. I was a mainstream Christian before becoming Catholic and have seen both sides. There are also differences of doctrine as in baptism and communion and beliefs about the "real presence of Jesus body and blood in the communion". You probably need to read and understand what you believe more coherently. I would suggest doing some personal study to understand more firmly what you believe and then you will have a secure answer to give when people question your faith.
    Anonymous

• Why not?
    Anonymous

• Catholics are the original Christians. All the other denominations split off from Catholicism, or from denoms that originally split from Catholicism, because there were rules they didn't agree with. You have to make them the bad guys to justify it. Just like the Episcopal split today - each side is painting the other as the bad guys rather than accept 2 different views.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I have no problem with them, but I would never bring my child to a catholic church. The priests can be a bit frisky if you know what I mean.
    Anonymous

• i don't bash Catholics. i often wonder why mormons get bashed.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• To above poster, I was raised Catholic, but stopped going to CCD when I was in 3rd grade, and stopped going to church all together after the 4th grade. So, I don't know as much as some others, but I know a lot. I had my communion, and went to confessions. I've much grown up since then, and have been exposed to a lot of things, and am at a stage where I don't believe in exactly one thing, or follow on religion. I do not consider Catholicism to be my faith, and I don't have an interest to study it any further. I was just curious as to why people bashed it at all, because I have heard people joke about Catholics but never say what they is wrong about them. Thanks for you answer =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• No, anon, I don't know what you mean. BTW its a Father not a Priest :P When I was a child I rather liked our Father, and so did all of the parents and other church goers. There a lot of creepers in the world, prolly some right around the corner from where you live, don't hate on Catholics just cuz there happen to be come Catholic creepers :P They aren't all creepers dear.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My guess is that many dont see them as a christian denomination(which they are) so they feel free to rant and rave over them like they do other denominations that urk them(JW, LDS,etc).
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 3:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I have nothing against any individual, but most of the institution's teachings.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Okay OP don't ask for an opinion if you don't want one then!!

It was all over the news a few years ago! You asked why people bash the catholic church and I gave you my answer. Some of the "fathers" were found guilty of pedophilia. And yes you are probably right there could very well be a pedophile living right around the corner from me, but why would I take my child to a place where pedophilia has been PROVEN to happen on several occasions. I'm not saying all "fathers" do this, but I'm not going to turn a blind eye, because its a church!!
    I actually lost all of my fatih after this incident!
    Anonymous