Painting ideas for a teenage girl

My 13 year old wants to paint her room and is thinking about a lime-green.
A friend told me that as long as I use a semi-gloss and the color isn't too bold, it should be fine in terms of changing it out in the future!

Could anyone share what color their daughter's room is or have any general ideas?

P.S. She wants to paint all (4) walls!

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it would be cute.......If you got a bed set that matched..say like..purple, pink, lime green sheets and comforter with diff colored decorative pillows.
    Anonymous

• and cute curtains to match as well*
    Anonymous

• when my son was 16 he wanted his room painted dark blue on the walls with silver stars and his ceiling black with a glow in the dark planetarium. We let him do it. It took one coat of Kilz primer on the walls and two on the ceiling to cover it all when we painted before we sold the house. The primers and colors they have now are so good I wouldn't worry about it unless she wants red. I don't know why the red is so difficult but it is.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think it sounds cute. I know there is a primer that covers darker paint, so it shouldn't be a problem to paint it in the future. My oldest dd has her room painted a dark blue, and my other dd has her room painted a yellow and the trim is done in blue.. There is so many diff colors now,, and you can mix and match a variety of diff textures, colors, prints, etc..
    dollydimples419

Answer by dollydimples419 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I did my walls black as a teenager... using a primer when you want to change it will definitely help no matter what gloss you use.

I think lime green would be cute. You can go to home depot and pick up color swatches and make this a family project if you want to :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• When I was 12 I painted my room periwinkle. When I moved out at 18 I really missed it! Lime green would be really cool as an accent color.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Thanks to everyone here who responded to my post; I appreciate it!
    I showed my daughter all the replies, and she said, " the other moms are okay with it"...LOL!

Great idea with the color swatches!

Thanks again!

Anonymous

• Lime green might be a bit much. We painted a room a bright orange.... the room GLOWED! It was awful LOL we ended up putting a white wash on to mellow it out.
    I would do just 1 wall lime green and the other walls a different color... navy blue? Deep purple?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:26 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Check out my daughters room in the photos on my page! Paint is the best way to make a statement and can always be covered in the future, even if it takes a few coats! Lime green would be a step down from my daughters pink room, but no matter what you choose, it is never permanent.
    VondaStepmom

Answer by VondaStepmom at 10:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2009