Breast feeding?

I'm expecting my first in February and I plan to breast feed, however, my husband's side of the family is very very conservative and I know they would give dirty looks, make rude comments etc if I were to breast feed in public, and try as I might not to care, I do. So would it work to pump and pack a bottle for those times we are with them? Or does a baby generally not take to a bottle when breast fed? Thanks!

CherBear04

Asked by CherBear04 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My hubby's family had never been around breastfeeding before i had my son 6 months ago. They said little comments here or there for the first month or two but after seeing that what they said wasn't going to make me change me on doing whats best for my son they now are more approving of breastfeeding in general. its learning for all involved. packing around extra pumped milk`will get old fast and it effects your supply rather than just nursing. There are many nursing mom groups on here that would love to help! good luck mama!
    millerbabe07

Answer by millerbabe07 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• In the begining no. A little baby would not take to a bottle. it needs to feed off of the mother for at least three months to get use to the suck, breath, swallow method. if you give the baby a binkie or a bottle to early it can get nipple confused and might not feed from you anymore. That in terms will reduce your milk supply(bad). With the bottle the milk comes out faster and they are not gonna work for it anymore. If possible just use a cover up they have them in walmart for like 5.00 and u can also use a recieving blanket. But if your husband supports you hopefully his fam will too and plus YOU ARE DOING THE BEST THING FOR YOUR CHILD... YOU CAN DO IT!!! iv'e done 2 and on my 3rd....
    kalikamekyree

Answer by kalikamekyree at 12:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• How do you know they are going to give you dirty looks? Have you seen them do that before? If you really want to nurse you can do it discreetly in public. You can always go off into another room and nurse the baby. I never once showed any part of my body while nursing. I used to wear big tee shirts that were loose enough to drape around the babies face, if the baby pulled away from my body the shirt fell down.
    I never pumped to use my milk when I was available. I just made it work.
    Unless you live with these people I wouldn't put too much thought into it. When they come to visit you, either nurse where you want or go to your bedroom or another part of the house.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I don't agree that a baby will get nipple confusion and resist nursing if you give them a bottle or pacifier early. All my kids had a pacifier from the very beginning, in the nursery at the hospital. The only one who had trouble nursing was my first son, with whom we followed "the rules" and didn't start a bottle until 4 weeks. My second son had a bottle every night so I could sleep since I had a toddler also running around. On baby #3, my daughter's first feeding was a bottle since I had to go to the OR due to hemmorhaging. Nursing went very well even though we gave a bottle at night, and a pacifier all day. Babies adapt.
    If you are worried about the inlaws, I would suggest you go somewhere private, use a cloth to cover yourself, or bring supplemental bottles of either formula or breastmilk.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 5:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My husbands family was the same way. I was told I was "sick" for breastfeeding. Bottom line is you can't raise your child based on what other people think, you do what you think is right.

If you are going to breastfeed, they tell you not to introduce a bottle or even a binky for a certain period of time because it can confuse the baby's sucking. There is nothing wrong with pumping milk to feed in public if it makes you uncomfortable to breastfeed in public although you can dismiss yourself to your car or a private area to breastfeed, you don't have to do it in front of everyone lol.
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• There are ways of breastfeeding without having your boob hangin out. A blanket covers and will not smother your child. There is also something called a hooter hider which is a specially designed blanket where you can see your child from the top but no one can see from the front or side. Also if you are at your family's house there are usually other rooms that you can go to where they won't see anything or there is the bathroom. I loved breastfeeding because it was a chance to get away from my MIL!! Don't decide not to breast feed just because of your in-laws. Your baby is the important one.
    Anonymous

• Bring a blankie which you will...
    Go into another room...
    Nursing gives you a chance to get alone with baby and away from the talking and noise...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:28 AM on Jul. 21, 2008