What obligations do we have to the world?

The current issues with Federal funds going to pay for reproductive lessons abroad, as well as to pay for abortions internationally, I find myself wondering, what obligation do we as a seperate country have to the world? I hear others saying that we are behind the times on our medical care, and I agree that our current system isn't working like it should. But why are we holding ourselves up as global parents to other countries? Why are we expected to step up and provide services for people that we don't even provide for our own?

Personally, I don't feel we have an obligation to other countries for health care. If there are private funds and services provided, then wonderful. Nothing against that. But I have a bit of an issue with giving these services away when we aren't even taking care of our own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We need to get our noses out of everybody else's business and tend to our own problems. There's enough homelessness, hunger, unemployment, undereducated, rising crime rates, and other problems to keep our leaders busy for 100 years right here in America. We should just butt out of their business. They don't want us there anyway.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Unfortunately, our problem is our lack of integrity and efficiency. We have plenty of money and resources, but we don't have the systems and people to competently, consistently manage them. That's why we don't get what we need here at home. If I consider that, I think we can spare some money, especially if it is wisely and well used in undeveloped and underdeveloped countries. It's brotherly rather than parental.

I can't even think about how the "leadership" in our country is screwing up and screwing us and there is very little for the average citizen to change that immediately. It makes me sick.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 4:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think we need to pull it all back and start calling in our loans too until we get back ontrack. Its like they say...If you as a mom don't take care of yourself you are no good to those who depend on you! The same theory applies. If wee go under these places will end up with NOTHING!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think of it this way, I'm more than willing to help someone in need if they truely cannot help themselves. But I will not do it unless I am also able to completely take care of myself. If I'm not stable enough to care for myself and family first then I'm in no place to try to help someone else first. If the US is unstable, financially (which we are), then we need to be focusing our energy on getting the US back together before we even begin to start helping others.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 4:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• To not blow it up, and that's about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Why do we need other countries??
    Because other countries did help U.S. in Iraq or are still helping . And the money what will go for poor countries all over the world is almost nothing what we are spending in Iraq.
    Nobody don't give services away,it will help organizations all over the world to accept money for their services.Private citizens can give money for them now without going against the law.
    Anonymous

• I see so much of the world thinking poorly of us, yet we struggle to try to make nice with everyone. I get the brotherly love thing, and as I said in the OP, I don't have a problem with helping others. But our federal funds are non-existent.

As a side note, I also feel it's arrogant to assume that these other countries don't know the things that we are teaching them. Are we to assume that all third world countries don't know anything about reproductive health? And how long has human been walking the earth? Yet we take the soap box to preach to the world what they should be doing?

Anonymous

• The US has been playing world police for quite some time, its about time we step up as one of the worlds biggest powers, and do some humanitarian work.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Apparently to fund international abortion clinics, while our own children have no health insurance citizens are losing jobs, and the value of the US dollar continues to depreciate.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• NONE.

Our obligations are to OUR country; and our people.

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2009