Need to lighten my hair.

Is is currently a dark brown (was dyed black about a year ago) and it has red and blonde highlights that are coming through from my natural hair color. I plan on bleaching it (Super Blonde) then dying it Light Auburn (my natural color). Will this work?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• btw I am using Loreal Super Blonde Lightening Kit.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I'm not a hairdresser, but I have plenty of experience through my mother and myself about bleaching hair. Most black dyed hair is covered with a red cast to simulate brown. (I had a friend who merged from years of goth black dying to return to a natural looking brown)

A year's worth of growth should be about neck length. Hair grows about an inch a month. You may try to low-light strands of the older treated hair to match the natural hair if you want to keep the longer hair.

Back to bleaching- my mother tried to bleach her hair to almost white. She turned out to a bright orange. As a natural sandy blond, our hair has a copper undertone that bleaching bring out severly. In order to strip all hair color, there is a process of bleaching at least three times, which means tons of damage. Damaged hair drinks up dye in weird ways.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 4:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I would suggest you go instead with a very light auburn or a strawberry blonde shade and skip the bleaching. I like Loreal products as well as the Garnier products (it's actually a division of Loreal).
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• um Gofofmyworld, who ever said that I was dying my hair to make myself beautiful? Im doing it because of a genetic problem in my family that cause severe early graying. I figure if I dye it a lighter color the gray wont always be so noticable. Thanks though, maybe I will drink bleach?!
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I'd suggest for a major change like that to splurge and go get it done professionally.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• you can go to a beauty school and get it done for a third of the price of a regular salon. Ask for a soap cap and then tell them what color you want your hair to be. Unfortunately black dye is the worst color to try to remove from hair, and it can take several processes over a month or so to get it lightened with out turning your hair into mush. If you want to try to lighten it, you have to be comfortable with the fact that you might just have to cut it off in the case it gets too damaged. This I know from personal experience from BEFORE I was a hairdresser and now that I am I know the major damage you can do with this type of transition
    joaniedanger

Answer by joaniedanger at 10:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• PS> it can be done, but better left to someone who is a pro.
    joaniedanger

Answer by joaniedanger at 10:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2009