How old were your kids when you started giving them allowance?

I am wondering if I should give my dd allowance when she turns four???

PA_mountainmama

Asked by PA_mountainmama at 4:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I didn't start giving my child an allowance until he asked for one at 6 years old.
    We then sat down and agreed what he would do in return for $20/week:)
    Anonymous

• I started allowance when they started doing chores which was typically age 5. They learned to clean up their rooms and help with emptying small wastebaskets. I only started with $5 a week simply because the more you give earlier the more they expect the older they get. They moved up to $10 and so on as they got older.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yep! Mines 4 an must have it! Started at 3 so she got the concept fast, $5- 10 i cant controll the amount if DAD Wants to be generious on occasion its outragious. Thats my prob. with bounderies
    ssspw-world

Answer by ssspw-world at 6:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I started my daughter already. She is 4. She's been getting allowance for a few months now. Her chores are to pick up her room, put away her laundry, and clean up her toys she brings in the family room to play with. She sometimes helps with "cooking" (stirring up mixes and such) but it isnt one of her chores. She gets around $5 a week normally. Sometimes Grandma sends her some extra.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Noah's 3 1/2 and has been getting $2 per week since birth. He knows about it now though, but it doesn't really register too much. He loves his piggy bank though and putting the money in it!
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i havent started my almost 5 year old on an allowance yet..i do give her quarters or loonies and toonies (canada here..lo..) and she loves putting them in her wallet for when we go to the dollar store..i probably wont reallllly start a "real" allowance til shes a lil bit older..shes good now with her room and cleaning her toys and helping me with stuff..but she does it cuz she wants to now..so..once she decided she wants to STOP helping me for the fun of it..then i'll start bribing her..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• thanks for all your answers! :) quite the variety I recieved! :)

My dd will probably just get the occasional change now and then as she already does, I think... and I greatly disagree with the 20 bucks a aweek person... youwould need a job just to pay for the allowance! oy!!! I read on anothe rpost that their three year old didn't clean,and anothe rparent had the nerve to say that it was still the parent's job to do that! oy!! my daughter cleans her room fine enough...and she enjoys helping out with occasional chores, and she's perfectly happy with stickers as reward, I think we will keep it that way!

thanks again!!
    PA_mountainmama

Answer by PA_mountainmama at 5:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My kids are 8 and 3 and do not receive allowance. They have chores. When they want something, they can earn it, or just get it for being generally good kids. Maybe when they're teens they'll have allowance, but for now, it's completely unnecessary.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It depends a lot on the child and what she can handle. I know some that started as young as 3 but the average of everyone seems to be around 5 or 6. The great thing is that you are choosing to pay, since experts say that allowance is a great way to get our kids to learn about managing money. They say it's important to pay consistently and on time. FiftyP.com is a great family site where kids can learn about financial and social responsibility. It teaches more than allowance alone can and helps you easily track all the allowance online while kids learn about saving, investing, donating and spending wisely. . You should consider checking it out. It it will help if kids can get some hands on practice and learning.
    marl09

Answer by marl09 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009