• In the Spotlight:

Getting baby to sleep w/o CIO?

Hi, mamas. My baby girl is almost 8 months old. We're still nursing, and each night, I nurse her to sleep. It wasn't always like that. Until Thanksgiving I could just let her nurse for about 15 min, put her in her crib, and she'd fall right to sleep. NOW, I nurse her, put her in her crib, and she screams her head off... So I"m nursing her to sleep...

I need advice on how to get my little girl to fall asleep on her own, without using the cry it out method. I'm not a fan of it, and refuse to use that method for sleep training. Any ideas?? Advice??

No bashing, just advice please.

christaberk

Asked by christaberk at 4:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she cry if you sit in the room with her or does she only cry if you leave while she's awake? You may be able to sit with her, then sit next to her, then sit in the middle of the floor, etc... until you are out the door.
    Other than that, all I can tell you is never say never when it comes to raising kids. Before my daughter was born, I couldn't imagine anything as heartless as letting a child cry herself to sleep, alone in the dark. Then I met my daughter. She would NOT go to sleep in my arms. She would NOT go to sleep if I was in the room. She would only go to sleep on her own, by herself, in a pitch dark room and only after screaming for a while. If there was ANYTHING to see or do, she would do it instead of sleep. I finally gave in and decided her needs were greater than my "oh that's a terrible thing to do" feelings. The lesson I learned is that all children are different and to never say never.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Kaycee14, she'll cry as long as she's awake if she's in her crib. I can sit next to her, stand next to her rubbing her back and singing to her, leave the room whatever. She screams her pretty little head off...

christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 4:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Get a copy of The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Also, you could try co-sleeping, it really helps, if your baby will co-sleep(right now mine refuses). But I have a drop-side crib and I have found that if I lower the side and bend inside the crib so my body is up against hers, she will drift off without nursing because she has me close. I just move away a little bit sooner each time so that she's closer and closer to falling asleep on her own. Also if she wont stop crying even when I do this, I hang my boob over the crib and let her nurse like that. It's a PAIN, but I'm so ready for a good night's sleep and i'm doing everything I can to get my baby to start sleeping better. Same thing with nursing in the crib, I just pull away a little bit sooner each time. If she cries, we start over. I'll keep doing this until she's sleeping on her own.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• IM NOT BEING RUDE MY 7 MONTH OLD SON WHO IS ADDOPTED IS THE MOST WONDERFULL THING IN THE WORLD HOW EVER NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT SLEEP WOULD BE LIKE THE OTHER WHITE MEET GOOD LUCK
    rjsjjs1

Answer by rjsjjs1 at 3:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2009