If your child is overweight, are you doing anything to help them?

Just curious, as there is a girl at dds' school who is pretty big.. Her sister is not, but she is, yet everyday this girl comes to school with a fast food donut, or muffin, or breakfast sandwich(not the kind of thing she should be eatting)-or anyone for that matter) Seems her mom dosnt care at all...its kinda sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• My kids have ran the gambit when it comes to sizes. A few are rib showing skinny, a few are average and a few are/were overweight. It's a very fine line that has to be walked when dealing with the child that is overweight especially if you have other children of average build.

My oldest girl lost over 80 pounds when she was ready to do it. My other DD is 8 and over 100 pounds but close to 5 feet tall...she is just a big girl all around. She doesn't eat junk, nor does she snack, she is just built big. We are lucky that we live rural junk and fast food are rare treats for us. I cook most things from scratch (not all I have my lazy days) and over all are active people.

It's easy to sit back and make a judgement if someones children are average size. It's harder to find the right middle ground when they aren't.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• All of mine are average size.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• The title says, IF YOUR CHILD IS, therefore, if your child is skinny, dont answer, lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• Skinny Jeans fall of my oldest. My youngest I would say shes average. Just because they are not over weight doesn't mean they can eat what ever they want. im tryi.g to instill healthy life choices. at the same time I do.t deprive them of snacks. Everything in moderation is okay.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• If mine were yes i would do something about it.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 4:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• It is abuse to not address their over weight issues!
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 4:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• I don't have this issue with my DD. When my niece came to live with us back in the fall she was overweight and we took it upon ourselves to try and get her to lose a few pounds. She didn't know what we were doing b/c she was 5 and I would never tell her that she was "fat or overweight". All we did was choose to make sure that she ate a healthy diet, no snacking, sweets on rare occasions, and drank milk or water. I was able to get her to lose about 6-7 lbs in under 4 mos. You can tell that she had only eaten junk for so long b/c the weight came off easy and I fed her well. She was allowed to have as much fruits and veggies that she wanted when we were having a meal as long as she also finished her protein and starch. It all depends on what a parent wants to do to keep their child healthy. My sister got her back and in less than 2 mos she put back on the weight she took off. FYI this was a 5 yo who weighed in at 65lbs.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• Because the best way to help an unhealthy child is to be a judgmental prick and slam their parents...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• NotPanicking-Typical defensive response hmm?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• Mine are thin to normal weight.

I do not know why you are focusing your attention on this child's weight. I am sure there is some flaw in your child on which you could focus your attention.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2012