Fulltime family and school?

hey everyone,

i just finished my paper work for fafsa. i will be taking online classes for medical office assistant, but i'm sitting here wonder if i can really do this. i'm a sahm of 3, a 10yr, 2 1/2 yr an a 7month old. i really want to better myself to get a good job an ofcourse give better things to my children. any of u mommies taking classes an taking care of ur lil ones.? be honest how hard will it be? i'm really scared of the work load and wondering if i'm smart enough to do this an pass. it's been like 15yrs sence i left school with a ged. i guess i think i can, i think i can.

family0530

Asked by family0530 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2012 in

• You should be fine..it's not like you are going into med school, or any degree program. It is some certification right?
    Anonymous

• it takes dedication. last semester i took 3 graduate level classes and my kids were 3 and an infant. its not easy, but its not life & death hard either. your classes are online so you'll be able to do the work when you have free time, but you have to make sure you make time for it. i do most of my work during naptime and at night after everyone's gone to bed. plenty of moms have gone back to school while being a SAHM to young kids...YOU CAN DO THIS!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• Time management can be an issue especially with kids that young. I work full time on top of a full course load in electrical engineering and it is hard to find time to get everything done, but it can be done. Would your partner be willing to help out so you can go somewhere quiet to study because trying to study with small people around is challenging. If this is something that you want to do I am sure that you can make it work for you and your family. I would recommend starting out with only a class or two and judge the workload and the time commitment. I know for my classes they say for every credit hour of the course expect 2-3 hours of homework a week so take that into consideration when planning your courses too.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• Hi there, I am a single mother of two preschool children and a full time student. I receive childcare assistance while I am in school and work during the days, which makes it A LOT easier. I am graduating with my BS in August and will be starting my PhD program this fall. It is hard, but so is working full-time with kids. With student grants and loans, you might as well be in school so you can at least get a better job when you finish and make a bit more money with something you'd prefer to be doing. Just go into it with the idea that it's going to be a long, bumpy road, but WELL WORTH IT!!! Go for it!
    BardoAV

Answer by BardoAV at 5:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• thank u ladies for the encouraging words. i'm going first to just get a diplomia, then certification later. no i don't have any family here but a brother an he works 7 to 9. so he wouldn't be able to help me. i'm hoping when my baby takes her 30 min naps i'll get something done an yes ofcourse bed time. i am only going to start out with just one class to make sure it's really something i can do. again thank u ladies an good luck to all of u.
    family0530

Comment by family0530 (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• On line courses? So you can do them whenever you want? You shouldn't have a problem.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• I am a full time single mom getting my Masters online. You can do it!
    Anonymous

• You will be fine. I was a single mom of 3, one special needs, school full time and worked part time.

Answer by missanc at 7:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• I am a single mom who is currently working full time, getting a Bachelor's and raising my teenager on my own. Last year I worked 40 hours a week, did an internship for 20 hours a week and took 5 classes, 2 of which were on line. I made it to every event my son had and made Dean's List. It is possible to do it. If I can do all that, you can take an online class and do well.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• I worked full time while a full-time graduate student with two children. It was rough, but possible. I didn't do online classes; I had to go to class for almost 8 hours a week at a local university. So, it should be easier to schedule around online classes.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2012