What is so great about vegetarian fed chickens? ... aren't the omnivores... can they be healthy on a totally veg diet?

I guess all there nutrition could still be met but are there people who really desire a veggie fed chicken vs. an omnivorously fed one? Are there benefits?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2012 in Food & Drink

• I guess
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• balagan_imma, I just moved next door to a woman who sells me eggs for $3/dozen straight from her coop. They are amazing. If I weren't so lazy about cleaning up after them, I'd totally do it. There is a world of difference between the color and the taste.

And I was going to point out the "free range" issue too, but you beat me to it.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2012

• Free range is a huge misnomer. It doesn't mean that the chickens run outside and live happy chicken lives. It means that a few if them have access to the outside but their conditions aren't much better than regular eggs. Unless you have a farmer from whom you buy.

If you want to buy store bought eggs from chickens with happy little chicken lives, look for "pastured" chickens. In general these eggs are really expensive - Whole Foods sells them for $7/dozen! brown only. We run a chicken co-op and have added an egg co-op as well. We sell ours for $4.50 and the colors of the eggs are amazing (rose, whites, buff, tan, browns and greens.) The yolks are also almost orange from the amazing foraging and veggies diet they eat.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• Labels are so misleading... I hate the way we are lied to all the time. I looked this up in consumer reports once and it said that it's "supposed" to mean that the chickens aren't fed animal by-products. In other words, when other little chickens die on the farm, the live chickens dont get to eat them. The only species where it is forbidden for them to eat their dead counterparts is cows - to prevent mad cow disease. Other animals, its ok. Pigs eat dead pigs, turkeys eat dead turkeys and chickens eat dead chickens. This label means this didnt happen... At tleast that's what the article said... But I find it hard to believe any label any more... It's like the "all natural" label. I mean, wth. Botchilism is all natural. Want some of that???? LOL
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• I find it funny people care if their chickens are vegetarians, while they continue to consume meat.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• Exactly. It's because "Natural" equals sales.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• I saw it in our kroger ad "New at Kroger Simple Truth Natural Chicken-Vegetarian fed- no hormones- no antibiotics

It struck me odd as a vegetarian diet is NOT natural for a chicken...
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• I'm wary of the "vegetarian" label for chickens. Especially if it's coupled with "free range" because then I KNOW is a pile of BS.

Chickens scratch up worms, bugs and even frogs every now and again. That's their "free range" chicken brain behavior. If someone is touting "vegetarian" chickens I automatically assume chicken mill.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• Well I buy free range vegetarian fed so they get bugs cause they run around.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2012