Potty Training? And Bottle Breaking?

So, my son turned one today. When/how should I potty train him. And how do I get him off of his bottle?

AustinsMommy124

Asked by AustinsMommy124 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For potty training, there are two ways you can go:
    (1) Start whenever you want. Since your child is not really ready to learn to take over his potty use on his own, you will have to do all of the work. You will have to get him to the potty on a regular schedule, hold him on the potty, etc. If will be at least another year before he will be willing to tell you he needs to go so you will need to keep taking him on a schedule until then. That's a lot of work and a lot of frustration since you will be wondering why he doesn't "get it" after several months.
    (2) Wait until he is ready to learn the full process on his own. You can go ahead and get the potty and let him play with it. You can encourage him to sit on it while you go. You can read him stories about it. But you wait until he is interested in learning before starting.
    Either way, he will be fully potty trained at about the same age regardless of when you start.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• hes one so its way to early to be potty training you should hold off on that till his 2nd birthday sorry he is just to young to get.
    As for breaking him of the bottle if hes already on a sippy cup it should be easy just throw them away.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I took away my childrens bottles before they were one. Once they were using a sippy cup all day, the bottles just disappeared. I was lucky in the fact that both of mine were very easy.
    I did start putting my son on the potty around 18 months, but he is still working at getting it right and he is almost 3. It seems to me that it was more frustrating than helpful at that age. He showed interest, but then lost it. He is really just starting to go on there more often.
    Best of luck!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i have done is
    i took her bottle by one i just practice with sippy cup the small one until she get use to it and then switch to the bigger sippy cups..
    It hard at first but you have to push to use sippy cup.. give him bottle at night and slowing give him the sippy cups

potty train is when they are almost two or when they are two..
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• At this age, you can probably just take the bottles away one day. It really depends on your baby's temperament though. Some babies won't adjust well, some won't care and will happily adjust.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Mk. Then I wont try to even start potty training him yet. But with the bottle breaking... He is VERY attatched to his bottle. He won't go to sleep without it. He will scream and cry and pitch a fit. I'm trying to just give him one bottle in the morning and one at night. But he won't do it. I don't know if it's the kind of sippy cup or what. But he LOVES his bottle.
    AustinsMommy124

Answer by AustinsMommy124 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Its too early to start potty training. He won't be ready until closer to 2 or even 2 1/2.

As far as the bottle goes, each child is different. I replaced the bottle with the sippy cup, and neither one of my girls even noticed the difference. The nighttime bottle was the last one to go, and both of them let that one go pretty quickly.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• defaintly too early for potty training my son is 2 and isnt ready yet :( but my son weaned himself off the bottle one day he just didnt want it anymore and he prefered the straw sippy cups over the regular ones for the longest time and now he doesnt care. my DD didnt get off the bottle until about a month or so ago he too weaned herself off and prefered the straw sippy cups but she doesnt like the regular ones have u tried the straw sippy cups? but i would just suggest keep trying....my DD's dr told me to mix a little formula in with her milk to get her used to the milk and she also HATES it cold it has to be warm or else she will spit it out....have you tried warming up the milk in a sippy?
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2009