How long should diarrea last?

Ok so my daughter has had diarrea for about 3 days now, and i'm worried, she has never had diarrea this long. She doesnt seem to be fussy or anything, i do believe she is teething though. I have been giving her the "BRAT" diet, and giving her pediatlyte, but it doesnt seem to be helping, should i be worried? When should i take her to the doc? or should i just let it run its course?(shes 11 1/2 months old btw)

clarasmommy08

Asked by clarasmommy08 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3 days is not very long...there are some viruses like rotovirus that can cause it to go for a long time. Also most viruses to me I would expect 3-5 days average, but up to a week of symptoms.

I would hold off on the doctor as long as she seems hydrated and happy and the diarhhea does not look odd or have blood.

I would tone down the milk if you feel comfortable with that and also any other dairy. Stick with the BRAT like you are doing too.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 5:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It can take a week or so. But stop giving her pedialyte, I'd say. Our pediatrician says to stay away from pedialyte, gatorade and juice type drinks because the sugar makes diarrhea worse.

Stick with plain water and her milk (recommended by our pediatrician...check with yours...no milk if puking, milk with having diarrhea is okay) and add to the BRAT diet. If it's a starch or a carb, let her have as much of it as she will eat. No fruit, no vegetables that aren't starchy....

I would give the doctor's office a call...to see if they have any other recommendations...and they may want to see her, but based on what you've written, I don't think she needs to be seen...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Diarrhea can last up to 2 weeks and is normal.
    As fas a drinking goes lactose can actually make diarrhea worse. But you could do a lactose free milk or a soy milk.
    If she isn't throwing up you can advance beyond the BRAT diet... but stay away from high sugar items. You can do noodles, potatoes, breads, crackers, soup, yogurt
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2009