So.... now what? (heart murmur in my 1st grader)

Son has had double ear infections for about 6 weeks and tonight at bedtime he was hysterically sobbing and we feared one finally ruptured. It hasn't (thank god!) but after two rounds of oral meds and a shot in the butt of an antibiotic there's nothing else to do right now but ear numbing drops.

In the middle of all this battling (having to restrain him for the drops and multiple ear exams) a nurse, PA, and a real doctor all heard a heart murmur. He's 7 years, almost 7 1/2 and has a bunch of medical issues including asthma and life threatening food allergies. They want him into the pediatrician asap for follow up HOWEVER this doesn't feel right to me. WHY? This doctor has seen him 5 times or more a year for many many years and has listened to his chest and lungs a zillion times. And never heard a thing.

WWYD? What should I do? I'm just a mess right now. I am in lost puppy mode. I don't wanna go all dramatic and call a pediatric cardiologist but his normal pediatrician feels weird too...

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Do the follow up, some heart murmurs are harmless. My nephew has a functional murmur which is completely benign.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:14 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• I have never dealt with this personally, however, I know an adult that found out that they have a heart murmmer...it is actually really common for them to not pick it up as a child. And I have heard that it is actually really common to have a heart murmmer. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion...maybe in a calmer siituation...other than in an er...and I don't know you personally, but trust your instincts...God gave them to us for a reason. Good luck..and I hope your little boy is ok...will keep him in prayers...
    kwayble1075

Answer by kwayble1075 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• My DD all of a sudden had a murmur about 7 years ago. She had strep and it showed up. The doctor made us do tests and see a pediatric cardiologist who basically said "why are you here? your ped. over reacted and she is fine." I'd rather have a doc over react than not do enough. And the murmur resolved itself in about 6 months.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• My OB found mine about 7 years ago when I was 33. It was the first time I'd had a dr listen to my heart while lying down instead of upright.

The majority of murmurs are harmless, and a lot of kids grow out of them. They are rated on a scale of 1-6 (6 the loudest). My friend has a level 3, and the only precaution she has to do is take a med before going to the dentist.

Get it checked out. They'll likely do an electrocardiogram and then advise you.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• I would be on the phone with whoever will talk to me! Start calling around. Gl momma, hang in there and I really hope your son starts doing better, sounds like hes had a tough road.
    HmschoolingMom

Answer by HmschoolingMom at 1:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• Yes, do the followup visit. I have a murmur and so did my brother. It is very common.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• the 13 yo was diagnosed with one years ago- doc only mentioned it during one visit and we had no testing.
    she has gone one to play full contact football and is currently in boxing.

it may very well be nothing
    GL
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• i was 19 before anyone ever heard my heart murmur. it was maybe more pronounced because he has been ill. see a pediatric cardiologist just to rule anything out. my kids all see one regularly because of what i have, and it is good peace of mind to have those checkups for them.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• Some murmurs aren't consistent. My mom and brother both have had them, and they went unnoticed for a long while because they weren't happening when they were examined.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• My opinion. Go ahead and see a cardiologist. Then you will know for sure what you are dealing with. If you go to your pedi and he/she does OR does not hear this murmur, you are still going to wonder. I agree that most murmurs are harmless. Some doc heard one on me about 10 years ago...I went to a cardiologist, had an ultrasound, blah, blah, blah....and no one hears it anymore.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2012