I am trying to potty train my 2yr old son by using the 10 min. method...(were you stick him on the pot every 10 min), if he cries when i put him on do he get off?? or let him sit there and cry for a bit? Any other successful methods of potty training?

Potty training for very stubborn boyz

kalikamekyree

Asked by kalikamekyree at 10:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say that every 10 mins seems a little to often. if he cries and he doesn't want to do it then you are forsing him to do something and potty training might back fire. With my oldest we did the sticker method. I had a calendar in the bathroom and everytime he went he put a sticker on that day. After 10 stickers we would go to the $$ store and he would get something.

One thing to remember is kids this age can not control much in their lives, except going to the bathroom. This is one thing they can control so if you push to much they may stop trying. It has to eb something they want to do. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• 2 is kinda young for a boy. I had three and never really got any joy until they were closer to three. You've introduced him... but be patient. They can be much slower than girls. I truly wouldn't push it for now, he'll let you know when he's interested. Frustrating I know.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 2:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• If you force him he will not do it. I do not agree with this method at all, I know your intentions are good, but this seems a little cruel to me!
    Anonymous

• I like cornflakegirls response. Praise him for his efforts but don't force it. One of my kids didn't potty train until he was almost 4. Whenever I was ready (they were ready) to potty train I started putting regular underwear on them so they knew when they went and praised them in some way for making it to the potty before an accident. Just tell him (if you decide to do this) if he has an accident in his underwear that he should think about going in the potty instead of his underwear because it's uncomfortable for him and messy for you. Give him the choice and let him see the benefits of going on the potty.
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My best friend used the Fruit Loop method. She put a fruit loop, yes the cereal, in the toilet and told him to aim for it. He loved it so much, it took 4 days to train him. He though of it like a game. So whenever he had to go he made sure to tell her so he could play the Aim Game. My son is almost 3 and I will be trying the same method. If you aren't too sure about the cereal, they also sell little plastic colored rings for this purpose as well. You just have to take them out and wash them. I like the actual cereal methid myself because once it absorbs water it turns to mush and will not clog the potty. You just flush it away...no mess! I hope this works for someone as well as it did for my nephew!
    TrizzlesMizzle

Answer by TrizzlesMizzle at 8:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• Wow, every 10 min! That is quite often and may steer him in the wrong direction and fight the training even more. At our daycare centre they take them every 2 hours and that works well. With my children we did a reward method. My youngest gets some gum when she goes or they get some other treat. I find that very effective and if they cry when I put them on I don't push it because they just shut down. Good luck.
    CatherineA

Answer by CatherineA at 11:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2008