How do you feel about people on welfare????

I'm on welfare and I always here the stereotype that people on welfare sit on their butts all day and collect money from the government and poor tax paying citizens. I'm a full time student in college. I'm looking for a job but noone seems to hire me. I'm also on WIC, i collect unemployment and I applied for pubic housing. I just want to keep food in my sons mouth and diapers on his butt. am I wrong for wanting a little extra help?? Be honest how do you feel about people on welfare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When I was a single mom I had to have child care assistance and health insurance through the government. I worked full time but it wasnt enough to cover all of my necessities. I am glad the services are out there. Your kid is the most important thing to you and you will do anything to keep them happy and taken care of and if that means you need a hand up then take it. I figure one day, I will be able to do some good for the community or help someone out in need. My husband and I are doing good financially now and we donate a lot of money to our church and the denver rescue mission (homeless shelter) Some people that have never needed assistance only see what they see and believe the rumors that all people on assistance are somehow lazy. Truth is, in CO anyways, you cannot get on most of these peograms unless you are really trying to make it better for yourself.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• No, you're not wrong. I think women who keep having children and can't afford it and are on welfare are the ones. Get your tubes tide. People who abuse the system are the ones I can't stand. And that goes for people who are on disability and worker's comp. who are completely fine but are too lazy to work.
    Anonymous

• Well really I did think they are lazy people that sit on there asses! But when I had a friend in your same place then it changed my mind! I do think they should take drug test so the are not using the money to buy drugs! But if sometruely needs it then yes go for it and get it! But for all the lazy durg doing people NO they should never be able to get a dime from the state!
    Anonymous

• I think its fine for people to get assistance as long as its a temporary measure to get them on their feet. Thats what its made for. The only issue I have is with those who make it their life long career.

Answer by gemgem at 6:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Some people on welfare are lazy and don't work and don't want to work. Not my opinion, its a fact. BUT there are a lot of people out there, like yourself, that are only using it as a crutch while they either get back on their feet or better themselves. To the latter, I give all the credit in the world!! Its not easy to put your pride aside and ask for help. For the rest..... well, welfare is in desperate need of reform!! There should be a way to get the abusers off so there are more resources for people who REALLY need it!!!
    Anonymous

• You do what you need to do to survive and support your family. People always want to judge especially those who have never needed the assistance. They will NEVER know what its like to be a single mom. You need help, appreciate that you have it. Be proud to have it! Use it to get through this tough time and get you where you need to be so one day you wont need it and can help someone else.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 6:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I believe in it as a temporary fix. A friend of mine was on it for awhile while she and her daughter lived with her parents and she went to school. After she graduated (2 year program) she got a good job and was able to support herself. I don't think the government should pay for people who aren't looking for work or looking to better themselves. Good luck to you and your son.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 6:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• we get foodstamps and WIC, and i do not have a job and will not get a job. i am currently waiting on my disability. i am not ashamed about any of it. i have tried working several times and it caused me too much stress. i cannot hold a job, and right now my hubby does not make enough money to pay bills and feed us. the only other time we had assiatance in the past ten years was when we had my neice and nephew and since they weren't "mine" the state gave us money and foodstamps for them, all i asked for was daycare assiatance so i could work, which they wouldn't give
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 6:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Some people on welfare are lazy and don't work and don't want to work. Not my opinion, its a fact. >>>>>>I know people like that, pisses me off to no end that they sit on their asses and get everything for free . . . how long can it last!!!

On another note, I know that there are plenty of people who use it for what it should be . . . a stepping stone to getting on their feet.

It's just those that use it as a recliner that make me so mad!!

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I agree with the other moms. I'm in the exact same situation. I'm 19 years old though and its seems I'm 2 young and inexperienced to do anything. So the little bit I get helps me alot. I never judge anyone because you never know their situation. And it is true that for some people it is the easy way out.I'm just glad to be able to give my sonwhat he needs. Everything I do is for him
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2009