taking your child places

I feel like this is only me. But I am sure that it is not. going anywere with my 3 year old is a nitmair. she has a fit no matter what we do. just to go in the car is horible. we got her a new todler seat an it is a nitemair.

ZAGARIPRUSS

Asked by ZAGARIPRUSS at 5:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you are not alone. my 2 year old is the same way. if we go out to eat, he will throw food. if i take him to a store, he picks up everything and runs everywhere. i try to keep him in the buggy but his dad likes to put him on the ground to let him walk. and then expects me to keep up with him. if you put him in the buggy after he's been running around, he throws himself and screams to the top of his lungs which makes everyone stare. and then my husband wants to know why i have an attitude. but regardless, you are not alone. we all go through it at some point, i just cant wait until he grows out of it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yeah I went through that with my boys when they were little! They will grow out of it. My daughter isn't like that thank goodness! She's a bit more well behaved. I find that if I provide her with something helpful to do in the stores then she is much more well behaved. Have the kids help you with your shopping list. When you go to restaurants, buy them a new coloring book and set of crayons. It will keep them somewhat more interested than the little menu things the restaurants give the kids to color. But keep a positive attitude, they will outgrow it!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Make sure that your trips are planned around times that she is not needing a nap or hungry. Always carry things with you that will keep her entertained while you shop, etc. Take snacks and juice and tell her before leaving exactly what you're doing and where you're going. Tell her what kind of behavior you expect. Praise her and offer rewards for good behavior. Don't push her to go on long outings that tire her out. It really just sets them up for bad behavior. She'll do better as she gets older. She's still young.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 1:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• HAVE YOU TRIED MAKING IT A GAME GETTING INTO THE CAR LIKE YOUR GOING ON A BEAR HUNT AND YOU HAVE TO GET IN THE CAR TO GO FIND THE BEARS AND WHEN YOU GET TO THE STORE CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR THE BEARS ( GO TO THE HONEY ISLE AND GET THE HONEY BOTTLE THAT LOOKS LIKE THE BEAR) AND SAY LOOK WE FOUND HIM! I USED TO HAVE TO SIT ON MY 3 YEAR OLD TO GET HER IN THE CARSEAT UNTILL I STARTED PLAYING THIS TYPE OF GAME.
    greenfrogmom

Answer by greenfrogmom at 1:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2009