baby's heartrate dropping with contractions?

I'm in labor and my baby's heartrate is dropping with my contractions...obviously that worries me. They said they're going to watch it and it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, but I would like to hear about other people's experiences!!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, this happened with my second son. His cord was wrapped around him, so every time I had a contraction it would squeeze the cord and his heartrate would drop. For the most part as long as the heartrate comes back up after/between contrax it should be fine. I was able to deliver vaginally with no episiotomy/forceps/vaccum. Good luck!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• That happened with me as well. It scared the piss out of me, but they assured me she was ok. While I was trying to push her out it started dropping a little lower and they finally went in and helped me by pulling her out. She was fine though. If he gets too bad they will do something about it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• nerve wracking to say the least
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Ur in labor??? with ure laptop?? I had a friend who this happen to recently.. she almost had a c section. I think she said the umbl cord was wrapped around something and was being squeezed with every contraction. But Iam not a doct so,,,,, they should know best. Im just impressed ure online in labor! lol I havnt been in labor so, i dont know what its like. I had to c sections and were scheld~ congrats and keep us posted!!!!!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I know that a bit is normal-- if it's a drastic decrease then mom can be sure to change positions/stay off meds, etc. Inducing is often a culprit. :-(
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yeah, I'm in labor on my laptop...I'm glad I brought it because it would have been a long day without it sitting around waiting. I'm almost ready to push so hopefully this will be over soon and I'll be able to give some stats!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• With an induction, it happens more often and frequently. Pitocin makes the contractions longer, stronger, etc which makes it easier for the baby to get into distress.

Heart rate normally decels a tad during a contraction because a contraction pinches the umbi cord, or can which can decrease oxygen (completely normal). The time to worry is when the heart rate doesn't go back up. Different positions often help like squatting, or on all fours.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• We got through it fine, just a little scary for me for a few mins. It was when she was in transition, and the end went REALLY quickly. I progressed my last 3 centimeters and delivered all within about an hour! Not bad!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2009