Nest to crib.

My son is 10 weeks old and has been cosleeping. He has his own little comfy fluffy nest. Now, I want to put him in his crib and I feel as though I've screwed myself. Now that it's what we've been doing, is 10 weeks too early to restart him in his crib? Or do I need to wait until 3 months? Is the cry it out method the way to go? There are so many conflicting opinions on everything, I don't know what to do. Also, he has been colicky and most evenings my husband and I are trading him off through 3 straight hours of crying. (Not sure if that will affect the answers)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was in our bed for about the first 10-12 months. She had no problem going into her own crib when we finally decided to switch. We put her in there after a couple books and lullabies which was new to her so it was like a treat. We have never had a problem with her wanting to sleep in out bed either. It is more the other way around she prefers her bed, she rather us cuddle in there then our bed.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 10:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Not sure what you mean by nest...but can you move the "nest" into the crib. Or even part of it? Maybe he might feel more comfy smelling and feeling the nest.
    tsc2007

Answer by tsc2007 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• cry it out is for older babies- 9 mos or older- he's way too young to cry it out. moving the nest is a good idea- the sooner you do it the better
    bttrfly8605

Answer by bttrfly8605 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I've heard you should wait till 6 months for crying it out. Like some of the other moms have said, try moving the nest or try swaddling him in his crib. I actually had to let my second daughter spend the first two months in her car seat because she refused to sleep in the crib and I don't do co-sleeping. Good luck!
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 6:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I don't agree with letting babies "cry it out" They need comfort and assurance especially at the earliest time of their life. Being a parent isn't about what's easiest or most convenient for the parent but what's best for the baby. My kids slept in the bed with us when they were babies until they were old enough to understand why they had to sleep in their own beds. My youngest son had no problem sleeping alone from the beginning, that's just the way he was. None of my kids were "spoiled" because I didn't leave them alone to cry by themselves. I am not saying anything about people who do this, to each his own, I'm just giving my honest answer.
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Does he sleep after those hours of crying? When he is asleep, put him in his crib and make it cozy like the nest. If he wakes up, if he is awake and crying, see if it is time for a feeding. Comfort him and then, put him back in the crib. I agree that crying it out isn't a good thing until six months. I think most babies cry in the crib because they are hungry at that age. When they are older, they don't need the feeding, they are used to it. Then, it's a matter of getting used to getting back to sleep without the feeding. The crying can be brief because they'll learn fast.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2008