Clay handprints---she won't uncurl her fists!

Has anybody tried to make a clay handprint with a newborn? I swear this is IMPOSSIBLE! She is already 3 wks old, and I want to hurry up and do the dang handprint before she grows anymore! She'll have her hands open until I grab her hand and then she'll clench a fist or grab my finger or hold her thumb into her palm...this isn't working...how did you get your newborn to cooperate?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 6:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think as a newborn you are out of luck for a hand print. I would stick with getting her feet. We were going to get the clay thing too and were advised against it for the same troubles you are having. Maybe just take pictures of her tiny little hands.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• try doing a handprint with washable finger paints and then wash her hand really good. might even be easier to do when she is napping
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• We tried everything with my dd. She was dead asleep, you know limp and passed out and as soon as her hand hit clay she grabbed a handful. I really don't know how people do it. It took us 2-3 tries per hand/foot to get decent ink prints. : /
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yeah at the hospital they didnt even do an ink handprint for us because she wouldn't uncurl her fists there either :-(
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• according to the one I got - you're suppose to wait until they are around 6 months.
    I did our little girl's at 4 months for christmas.
    good luck - i have no advice except to wait for a few months.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• YEA I WAITED TILL HE WAS 3 MONTHS OLD AND THEN IT TOOK ME AND HIS FATHER I PLACED HIS AND HIS DAD PUT HIS HAND ONTOP OF DS TO KEEP IT FLAT AND I PUSHED IT DOWN A LITTLE BUT IT TOOK ABOUT 3 TRIES GOOD LUCK
    rjsjjs1

Answer by rjsjjs1 at 3:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had the same problem and didnt want to wait until my son was 6 months, so I used his foot instead. It is just as cute and so much easier.
    Bulldogmama

Answer by Bulldogmama at 3:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009