Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

another tax question sorry and maybe to long sorry

i was working for a company called REAL ENERGY SOLUTIONS (which they helped businesses try and reduce electricity) anyway it was like a nonprofit organization or somethin like forgot what the word was but they didnt take out taxes of my checks i was working there Aug.18,2008 to Oct. 6,2008 i was the office coordinator(i know short time period but the guy that was running the Midland office started his own company and that left me without a manager so they closed that office down until they can replace him which hasnt happened ) all my checks were the same amount all the time i got paid on the 15th and 30th of the month. N-E-Way how does that work do i gotta pay back what taxes i would owe since they never took anyout? my tax preparers are Jackson Hewitt. and do you think that it would be alot? my checks were $753.00 excepthe last one was a little more than 500.00

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • any help please..

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • I'm an independent contractor and I take 25% of each paycheck to put towards taxes. The reason why is because when you work as an employee your employer pays half of medicare and social security, when you're an IC you have to pay the whole thing -- 15.3%.

    If you've worked somewhere else and have taxes taken out, you may have worked enough to cover any taxes that you should have paid. But if not, you should pay the taxes on them. I think there are websites in which you can figure out how much you owe.

    Also, I could be totally wrong about all of this. It's just my opinion.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • do you know the name of the website

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • i did work at the daycare where i live in feb, 08 til the end of may 08, i didnt like how the lady ran the place and she always chose favorites. anyway they took out taxes and i even paid for child care.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • Yes You Owe Between 15% and 28%. Jackson Hewitt Should Tell You This

    Answer by Kari_Noelle at 7:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • Are they giving you a 1099 or a W-2? If they didn't withhold any payroll taxes, then either you or they are going to have to pay them. (At my firm, we "gross up" checks so your gross income is higher to account for the taxes that would have been taken out to get to your net pay. If they were paying you as an independent contractor as above poster said, you should get a 1099 and that will be subject to self employment taxes appro 15% half of which is a deduction for you. Then you are still subject to federal taxes. If that is the only job you worked for the year, you do not have enough income to be concerned about. If your husband works (if you have one), then it's possible he paid enough in to cover your wages as well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • not sure what they are going to give me but i will ask them on monday. i did work i posted it at 7:07 anon. and i am common law married for three yrs and we have been filing our taxes together.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • (anon 7:23 again). It all depends on how much income the two of you have, how much withholding, how many dependents, etc. Sorry, I'm no help. All I can confirm is that if you get a 1099 you will need to do the self employment taxes, but if you get a W-2, the company is responsible for withholding half of the tax from your check and paying the other half on their own. Have fun with your taxes. I love this time of year, but I hate it too! :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.