what are the things your kids like about homeschooling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine likes working at his own pace. The things he strong in he gets stronger in quicker because hes able to work ahead and things he struggles with he gets more one on one attention on rather then having to take the course over and over. He also likes being able to have school whenever we have time. Theres no only mornings, only afternoons. If something comes up we can work around it. If we have vacation plans we can go and still have school.

Answer by gemgem at 6:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think for my son he feels confident and supported. He does not feel anxious and his self esteem is not down from being the "bad kid." The school was not doing a good job of supporting his special needs and thus there were a lot of meldowns.

For me I can not believe how much he has improved and changed since taking him out of PS. Plus he has been allowed to do work at his level, which is advanced. I also noticed in public school he was loosing his wonderful sense of curiousity. Instead it was replaced with tears and crying over forced homework. Now he is back to building experiments, looking up things he is interested in etc...he has the time to do the work that is required and learn about things he enjoys.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Not having to raise their hands & be recognized to speak. Not having to wait until "bathroom" time to go pee. Not having to keep up with anyone or be bored waiting for others to keep up with them. Not having to worry about whether they have the 'right shoes' or a 'cool haircut'. Not being cut off from everyone not their exact age. Not having to worry about being made an example of in front of their peers. Being able to learn as much as they want about something before moving on to something else. Being able to find a cool bug in the yard and spend the rest of the day learning about it. Being able to do school on the "too hot" days & "too cold" days & "rainy" days --- and having vacation days when it's 75 & sunny out.

Being about to learn HOW to learn & develope a LOVE for learning..... as opposed to perfecting their short-term memory long enough to pass a state-funded test so that their school gets more money.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Laura1229---That is a great answer. Mine are now 19,21, and 24. They would answer so similarly:-) My daughter just told me she also liked the time they got to go with Grandpa when he would come out to the "ranch" and want them to go fishing or whatever. I think the best way to sum it up is the relationship factor. They got to know their grandparents, each other, and their mom and dad:-) They all three are still close and consider each other their best friends. All three are readers and know how to learn on their own:-) Again, awesome answer:-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• FREEDOM!!! Freedom to be who you are, wear what you like, speak without raising your hand, learn about what interests you, go on vacation when it suits your family, spend as much time as you want on your favorite projects, go to school in your pajamas, chuck the school book in the trash if it doesn't work for you, stay up late to watch meteor showers, sleep in when you're tired, eat when you're hungry, go to the bathroom whenever you need to, and on and on...
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2009