Tantrums during meals

My son is 9 1/2 months and lately during lunch and supper he throws fits and doesn't want to eat. I have tried a few different options and just can't find anything that works. I'm afraid that hes not getting enough to eat. He wants to feed himself but of course is unable to use a spoon so i try to have something he can feed himself while i try to get other stuff into him. I'll take any suggestions at how to get him to eat better!!

ashleydawn3830

Asked by ashleydawn3830 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• our son did that to they go through the stage where they want to do it. our ped. said that if they are hungry they will eat i wouldnt worry to much about that part he is still getting milk he is fine our sons little stage lasted for a month maybe a little longer. i wouldnt worry to much about it unless he looses weight. good luck there are more stages to come
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If he wants to feed himself it is important to let him try. Meal time should not be rushed! It should be a happy/fun time for children. He doesn't know how to use a spoon because he's never tried. If you're worried about a mess... they are going to happen no matter what. Get him down to his diaper and put food and a spoon. Let him try to feed himself. If he gets frustrated, ask him if you can try to feed him. He may be more responsive this way.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing. Sooooo... you gotta find stuff he can feed himself. Frozen veggies (cooked of course) are good. I like peas and green beans. I also like steaming some baby carrots and slicing them up. They make good finger foods. Some ditalini pasta or shell shaped pasta are good. Chicken nuggets cut up are good. I recomend getting those plastic bibs with the little pockets on them. They are good for catching stuff that don't quite make it to his mouth. Be creative. This should be fun for both of you. As long as he is getting enough whatever it is you feed him (formula/breastmilk) then he should be fine.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2009