• In the Spotlight:

Baby bath...

I have a 8 1/2 monh old daughter and we've always used her baby bath... Can I just put her in the big bath? She obviously sits up very well, but she could slide... Is this something I could do, or is it too early?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 7:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it would be fine as long as you are right there next to her the whole time.
    Anonymous

• I just started giving my 7 month old baths in the big bath about three weeks ago (so she wasn't even quite 7 months old). She can sit up completely just fine, and she LOVES it. Yes, she has had times where she's slid. You just have to be on guard so you can catch her if that happens.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 7:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• get one of those rubber bath mats that is what we have or what we did with our son is we bought one of those blow up tubs that fits in the reg tub and that is what we used.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Thanks guys... Yeah, its just seeming like she is getting to big for the baby bath.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Just don't put that much water in it. :) My baby has been in the bath tub her whole life.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Munchkin makes this blow up duck bath that you put inside the regular bath. I think it is about $10.00 at Wal-Mart. I've been using it with my daughter since she could situp. Its great because if they do fall over, they fall into a padded wall. Also, the bottom of the duck has a non skid surface and is also padded for their little tushies. Finally...the beak of the duck quacks...she loves it!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I occasionally give my son a bath in the big bathtub. What I do so that he and I are comfortable (I am so worried about him slipping) is I get in the tub with him. I fill it up enough to where if he is sitting up the water comes to about his nipples. He loves "swimming" (me supporting him in the water so he can flail and kick) He even found that when he's extremely excited he can yell to show how excited he is, now EVERY time he gets excited he yells lol. It's quite cute.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I've heard that, to prevent slipping, you can place a towel under her bum and have her sit on it.

DS is 8 mo. and I love bathing him in our kitchen sink. I don't have to bend over and he loves trying to grab the faucet and looking at everything.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I have a bath seat for my son. he loves it. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2969577

I've tried the towel under the bum when we're at the in-laws and it didn't work for me. Instead of him scooting around the tub on his butt he scooted with the towel.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2009