any sights like cafe mom that my 12 year old could go on ,,,,,,,where it is safe to chat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• my 12 yo and all his friends have a MySpace. For some reason its gotten a bad rap in some mom circles. When you set up a profile you can make it private. Also, you can stipulate that the only people that can send you invites are people that know your last name or email. Random people can not see info when its set to private and you can't get unsolicited invites either. My son has had his for over a year and has never had a stranger send message or invite. I also know the user/pass and log in frequently to see whats going on and I even check out his friend's profiles to know more about them. I like it because I see what's going on in his life and the lives of his friends. Its safe.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 10:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• myspace is only a good idea if you are going to use it like gotuyourmoms does if you are not going to supervise them on it, it is easy for them to change the setting and their are MANY people on there who could be dangerous to a child. The age level is either 13 or 16 also I thought it was 16 or older but someone also said 13. This is just something that takes research my niece uses aim for IM with her friends and then she has a barbie account and some penguin thing. My SIL just made sure these places where safe thats all you can really do.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 10:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• facebook... kiddonet.com.... teenchat.com <--- safe from perverts!
    Anonymous

• Nothing is going to be too safe. Watch TO CATCH A PREDATOR. Nothing is that safe, no matter how you check up on it. Even if you do check like the first poster does, my worry is, kids lie. Let's be honest. Your kid can invite them to be a friend, or can still have conversations without you ever knowing or adding someone as a friend. You may go who's that, and they'll give you an answer. Doesn't mean it's the truth. Also doesn't mean that they're lying. They could think it's the truth. Someone doesn't have to be your friend or know anything about you to send you a message. I would just be a little worried about anything. Do what you can, but I don't like myspace for kids, or even adults too much. A lot of adults use it to cheat, it's not a bad site but no one of my favorites. Just my opinion.
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 5:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Club Penguin
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2008