Is this a good daily food choice?

Okay so I am posting my last 2 days of foods and would like to know if this would work on a daily basis. I am 27 5'8'' and am weighing 290 pounds. My optimal weight would be 160 pounds but i know thats a long ways away. So I am just trying to forrm better habits at this point. So this is what the last couple days have looked like:

Day 1

breakfast: apple cinnamon cheerios with skim milk

Lunch: Large apple, carrots, broccoli, califlower, grape tomatos (with about 4T ranch dip)

Dinner: Salad with light cesar dressing and 1 fillet of tilapia (baked)

Day 2

Breakfast: Honey nut cheerios with 1/3 bannana and skim milk

lunch: iceburg lettus wrap with 1tsp mirrical whip, tomato, and deli shaved oven roasted chicken

Dinner: 1 can Campbells tomato soup (prepaired with skim milk) and another of the above mentioned lettus wraps.

Now for drinking It has only been water or unsweetened tea. (I am nursing my 11 month old so I do take prenatal vitamins as well) And have added 1 hour of walking or other physical activity (with my 3 children) 5 times a week. Let me know what you think of my food choices and if I should be making any adjustments to it for a better and healthier weight loss. Like I said I have a lot to go and it will take a long while but i really need to start somewhere.

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 9:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• Honestly I think your calories are probably a little bit under goals. Especially for being a bfing momma. I know that sounds counter productive but if you don't eat enough calories you won't loose weight.

Have you tried Sparkpeople.com or babyfit? Both are pretty much the same but babyfit is for Post Partum moms. You answer some questions when you sign up and you can set your goals. Then enter your daily eating/exercising and at the end of the day it tells you if you met your goals.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2012

• I think the Cheerios are a bit sugary. Not as bad as some cereals but still not the best choice. Your lunch on Day 1 should have a bit of protein. I think everything else is okay.
    Anonymous

• The only thing I would say is to make sure you are getting enough protein, and that the 4T of ranch with your veggies was probably too much...but I understand that you don't want to be miserable eating every meal and want something good. Maybe some light ranch instead?

You are right to make it a lifestyle change instead of a "diet" so you can continue to work toward your goal! Good luck!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2012

• I also think it sounds like too little calories. If you aren't eating enough, you won't lose, or you will lose at a much slower pace.

Answer by missanc at 9:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2012

• No cheerios, absolutely NO mirrical (lmfao) whip.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 9:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2012

• processed foods like cheerios are so high in sugar and sodium....and 4T of dressing is way too much - not caloriewise, but sodium wise.... if you eliminated all cereal from you diet it would be so much better..... and yeah the miracle whip should disappear too ! you can still have the sweet but not with sugar....pure, high quality, real maple syrup - one teaspoon on cooked oats or on cooked Quinoa - and add about ten almonds, chopped, and carrots or apples (I know carrots sound funny, but if you've every had glazed carrots, they are so good) 1/3 cup of dry quinoa, cooked (like rice), with almonds and one teaspoon of maple syrup, 2 sliced slightly cooked carrots - that is my breakfast ! never go below 1200 calories per day - the upper maximum is dependant on your weight....

also, if you like soup, go with homemade - processed, campbell's type soups in a can are incredibly full of sodium
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2012

• instead of iceberg lettuce (no nutrition, just water), opt for romain or other greener leafier lettuces.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2012

• also snacking a little will help keep your blood sugar regulated and help your metabolism, instead of having 3 sparse meals a day.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2012

• I didn't read through all the answers, so forgive me if I've repeated anything. I think there aren't enough nutrients, healthy fats or good colorful veggies or protein. Are you measuring or eyeballing the amount you eat?
    I'd do something like this:
    Breakfast: 1 egg cooked w/ pam. slice of whole grain bread slice of avocado or scramble the egg with spinach, mushroom or whatever veggies you like. If you don't like eggs, try 1 serving of steel cut oatmeal (1/4 c made w/ water) small or 1/2 banana splash of almond milk and a teaspoon of natural (no sugar) peanut butter. Tastes like peanut butter cookie. Be sure to measure though!
    Lunch: salad w/ protein use darker leaf veggies like spinach. You could do chick peas, chicken , tuna for your protein. 1 tbsp olive oil and vinegar
    Dinner: lean protein lots of veggies
    Snacks: veggies, fruits,
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• Choose a variety of foods daily from the five major food groups.
    Each day, strive to eat the suggested daily amounts for each group.
    Limit the total amount of food eaten to maintain a healthy weight.
    Emphasize food choices that are low in fat and sugars.
    Limit the intake of fats, oils, sweets, and alcoholic beverages.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2012