My babygirl is 5 mnths old how long should i let her cry for?

She is 5 mnths and she has a clean diaper, was just fed.wont take anymore bottle..room isnt too cold or too hot..she has her fav blankie in there and stuffed little firefly that she stares at. she doesnt have anything wrong with her and shes rubbin gher eyes and really tired..so i put her in her bed rocked her a little before said i love you and put her down..walked out she doesnt cry yet..4-5 mins later shes blareing..she always does this every single time.i dont know how to let her cry herself to sleep and i have never heard her stop crying..the longest i have waited was 20 mins. other than that i go get her..she has tears and stops crying as soon as mommy picks her up and she falls asleep in my arms. how long do i let her cry? should i just not go in there and keep waiting?
cause i've never waited past 20 mins. can i?As much as it breaks my heart into tiny little pieces.it really does i want to know how to break the habit

blueside22

Asked by blueside22 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't wait too long. Every 5-10 min go into her room and make sure she knows that you're not neglecting her, but don't pick her up. Just pat her back and walk out again. It may take a few days, but stick to your guns and it will get better.
    lisafdoula

Answer by lisafdoula at 7:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i had the same prob. but as painfull as it is - doing what you are doing works. it might take a week or so but eventually she will get the idea that when she is put down it is time to go to sleep. my 2nd one is 7 months old and she will cry sometimes for a few min. or just play till she goes to sleep. the 1st one was much faster with it but she had her own room and didn't have to bunk with mommy :) cry a little with her it will soon be over
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 7:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I have a two minute rule. My daughter never really cries though... If she does cry when I lay her down. I wait two minutes, and shes usually already asleep. If not I go in and replace the binky, comfort her, and start again. 9 times out of 10 he is already asleep after 2 minutes. Good luck :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• What are you supposed to do if they don't calm down unless you pick them up?
    Anonymous

• Pick her up, calm her down, lay her down, keep your hand on her back until she calms down. leave quietly...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think that's too young to let her cry. JMO. If you are doing it, I'd only let her cry 2-3 mins. She's still a baby, and they need their mamas.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Well, I wouldn't let her cry for even 30 seconds. The woman in my mirror would kick my butt six ways from Sunday because CIO only teaches a baby that mommy won't be there for her.

Even the proponents of CIO say six months is the absolute earliest to do it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Don't let her cry at all. Go to her and comfort her when she needs it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• she probably won't calm down right away, but at least she'll know you're there. I do this for a living. You will surivive. It's rough, but that's why I stay in business!
    lisafdoula

Answer by lisafdoula at 8:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't let her cry at all.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2009