How do you get over being shallow?

There's this guy that I like. He's a year younger than me and not the greatest looking. But not bad looking. We're total opposites. But I love talking to him. And he cracks me up. But I am very shallow. How can I get over this to have a possible, healthy relationship??

AustinsMommy124

Asked by AustinsMommy124 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• last christmas my boyfriend gave me this big box wraped in news paper it was ugly as hell. But I thought well lets see what the hell this is. when i opened it inside was a smaller box it was silver with a ribbon i opened the box and inside was a 2krt dimond ring . i guess what im saying is its not what is on the outside but whats inside that counts. if he makes you smile then maybe you should make him smile too
    Alex1084

Answer by Alex1084 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You are simply you. You shouldn't have to change who you are to accommodate others. Maybe you just have not found the right person who fits your personality. It's possible this guy is just meant to be with you to appreciate as a friend. Just love who you are and Mr Right (and maybe just as shallow) will come along and sweep you off your shallow feet. It's all good. You are perfect for someone just the way you are.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If you like him enough it will come naturally. His looks etc wont matter no matter how "shallow" you are or used to be.

Just think, you have made a step in the right direction since you recognize the problem.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 7:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• life is to short get over it take a chance
    Alex1084

Answer by Alex1084 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Find out what he likes and read up on it so that you can carry on a conversation. Find out what you enjoy and read about it. Read read read. If he likes football, learn about football. If he likes gardening, read about gardening. Think about what you enjoy, do you like politics? fashion? cooking? cars? music? learn more about them. I doubt that you are shallow. You probably just have different interests. Go to the library and look through the books, you may find something that gets you to wondering and thinking. Crossword puzzles are good for general information. Also, ask him to talk about things he enjoys and pay close attention. The more you learn, the more you'll find to learn. Go for it!

Answer by Bmat at 7:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• By realizing you are? If you know you're shallow, then you know what the problem is..... it's all a matter of choice. You can choose to loose because of some silly hangup, or you can get mature and real with yourself. Just like Alex1084 pointed out... some of the best gifts come in the plainest, and sometimes visually unappealing packages. I'd rather be treated like a precious gem by a not-so-good-looking guy or like shit by a really handsome one. (not stereotyping good looking guys.... just making a point).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• What do you mean, you are shallow?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2009