Wondering about what's going on with me... (Possibly Marena related)

I have a Marena. I had messed up periods for the first year and a half , then they went away.
I've had it for a little over 3 years now and almost 2 weeks ago I got really bad cramps (I don't usually have cramps) and started my period. After about 3 days it went away but I start spotting bright red again every couple days.

I did "check" and can feel the strings still. Has anyone had this happen?

Btw, I will be calling my doc on Monday for an OB appt. I just was curious in the meantime.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Health

• Girl, I can honestly say nothing good about IUD's. I had one put in a couple of years ago.. I only had it in for about three months.. I had severe cramps, never stopped bleeding and developed a severe infection. I had to go to ER and have it removed.. I had a severe infection. I would get it checked ASAP.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I was on Mirena for 2 years and I finally got it taken out. It messed up my periods and I didn't have a good experience. I would say yes...that is normal for Mirena though
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 8:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I've had my IUD since 2005. I've never had anything wrong with my IUD since I've had it in. I do get cramps sometimes but nothing serious. I do spot at times but again nothing serious. I would get checked with the Dr if need be but me I'm good. My 5 year IUD has been worthwhile. Way better then those stupid pills. Any ways I would check with the Dr. I think it's all normal but again I have had spotting and bleeding on several different occasions. It goes away and I don't worry.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 8:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You need to have it checked, because although you can still feel the string it may be shifted and that may be causing your problem. I have had my Mirena for going on 3 years in June and I LOVE IT!!!!! I haven't had a period in over 2 years. (Doesn't hurt my feelings a bit...lol). But like I said, it could be shifted, or your body is just really wanting to have a natural period like it is susposed to...kwim. Get it checked! Good luck to you!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 8:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I had a copper IUD in for about a year and it caused me A LOT of pain and 2 months straight of bleeding towards the end. It also caused me to have terrible endometriosis. I just had it removed last week. This week they put in the Mirena one, so, hopefully this one works out, but I am terrified.

Anonymous