what could the prob be?

my hub says his throat hurts no bumps no white stripes but his glands are swollen it hurts to swollow and talk also to move his head. everything in his neck is swollen my hub is a HARD HEAD and wont go to the doc unless he REALLY needs to. I have been giving him cough syurp ever 6 hrs he sprays with chloraseptic every two hrs and cough drops.. could this be strep tonsils (sp) or a batrial thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Health

• Sounds like he's just sick. I would never go to the doctor for a sore throat and swollen glands. Odds are it's just a virus. I had the same thing 2 weeks ago.
    Anonymous

• You won't know until you go to a doctor. Strep is a bacterial infection, and requires antilbiotics. The longer strep is left untreated, the worse the symptoms get, as my bf found out last year when he had a very hard time breathing one night (the swelling got so bad his throat was closing up and he ended up having to get two injections...in the butt...to stop the swelling. If he had carried his butt to the doctor a few nights ago like I suggested, he wouldn't have had to go through that...)

I will never understand why someone has to be almost dead or dying to finally go to the doctor.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I would stop giving cough syrup if he does not have a cough...That is not going to do anything.

What do you mean by swollen, like chipmunk face huge ? Do you happen to live in an area with a mumps outbreak ? Probably far fetched, but are the glands below his ears, sorta to the front the ones swollen ? You could probably google it to get better info.

Odds are it's just a virus that needs to run it's course, but you never know. It's too hard to tell online how bad "symptoms" are. Obviously if a fever starts or he can't move his neck at all and it's stiff, he should go in just to be safe.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Does he have a fever? Is he prone to strep? If he doesn't have obvious infection, it may not be strep. It could be but of course you won't know unless a test is done. If he has a fever over 100, it's less likely strep. The temp is usually 99-100 with strep. I would say drink a lot of fluids, take motrin if no allergy if the pain gets worse. Strep has complications involving the heart if it isn't treated. Tell him that and he may go. I know if my husband gets scared, he will see a doctor. A little truth might get him there.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• he needs to get checked out . it could be something serious i am a RN and it could be lynphoma a cancer of the glands. This is no joke get checked!!!!!!!!!!
    Alex1084

Answer by Alex1084 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2009