At what age can a baby have fish?

I know fresh water fish is a no-no until after one, because of the mercury, but what about ocean fish? Is there any difference, or do the same rules apply.

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "If you have no family history of fish allergies and you want to try giving fish to your baby before 12 months, wait until he's at least 6 months old and able to chew other finger foods. Always make sure the fish is properly deboned and minced or pureed. Offer a small amount and introduce only one type of fish at a time."
    http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-my-baby-eat-fish_1368510.bc
    There is a discussion at this site about it.

Answer by Bmat at 8:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Same rules apply. It has less to do with mecury levels and more with allergies.

I think its generally not recommended until a few months after age 1. I didn't give either of my girls fish until they were about 14-16 months old.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I don't give my babies fish. I'd rather them not get mercury poisoning.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Peanut Butter, Fish, Eggs and Milk are all recommended to not give until they are AT LEAST 12 months of age. They are the most common foods linked to allergies.

Honey is another one you wait until they are 2 and then only feed honey made in YOUR state. Shrimp or shell fish, you might want to wait until over 2 as well. If they can't breathe (which is the most common reaction when allergic) you want them to be able to communicate that to you ASAP ..

Hope that helps :)
    MommyAdvisor

Answer by MommyAdvisor at 8:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Thanks for the info guys. Mommyadvisor, I knew about the other things, but I thought peanut butter should wait until 2years?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My DD Pedi. has told us that they have decided that you no longer have to wait until 12 months for those things, except honey
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 10:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Our pediatrician said that you should wait until your baby is 2 before you give him Pb and honey. As for Fish, we gave our boys salt water fish at 10 months and they did fine. Our pediatrician also said it was OK to give our boys egg yolks at 8 months but not egg whites. My boys loved scrambled yolks. Hope this helps if not that's too bad!

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 11:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Might be a difference of opinion in Doctors?? Mine always said 12 months, unless there is a food allergy (mom or dad) then you should wait until they are 3. Of course I would only do SMOOTH PB at 12 months, if you are going to do nuts, you would for sure wait ..

I was lucky and my children never had any allergies (that I know of) to any foods ... but we waited as my other posting said .. But other doctors might not agree with the one I had. I guess that is why it is good to get a second opinion when being diagnosed!
    MommyAdvisor

Answer by MommyAdvisor at 10:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009