Feeding question

I am breastfeeding my DS and i remember leaving the hospital, the nurse told me that sometimes when he's eating he'll be playing at the same time and you have to make him realize that it's eating time and not play time.... but she didn't tell me how to go about it. Is this even possible to make him understand it's not playtime. I mean he's only 5 1/2 months... so is it even possible? It's very frustrating when he's eating and he's trying to jump and wiggle...

RenaJean

Asked by RenaJean at 8:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him off the breast when he wants to play. He'll get whiney and start crying and stuff, but it won't take him but a few times of you doing this to realize that he's supposed to be eating, not playing.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If he's playing around and you don't want that, unlatch him, and tell him "No playing". Offer the breast again, and if he nurses, then good, but if he starts playing again, do the same thing. He will eventually get it. Most of the times that babies play at the breast and bite at the breast, they are done nursing or not hungry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Wrong.
    Playing is interacting.
    Get a nursing necklace.
    Babies do acrobatics while nursing. This is normal and just fine.
    If baby is not eating at all, then take baby off breast.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Well now I'm confused... Is it good or bad? what is a nursing necklace?
    RenaJean

Answer by RenaJean at 8:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It's good if you are ok with it. If you'd rather it *the behavior* stop, that's ok too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If your baby is hungry he or she will eat, if not they won't. My son will smile and coo at me instead of eating. I smile back and imitate him. This usually last a minute or 2 then he's down for business. If he still doesn't seem interested. I put the breast away and play with him until he makes his hungry noise (a coughing sound) then I bring the breast out again.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My dd has always been difficult to feed but she gets as much as she needs and never goes hungry. It seems like around that age they are more aware of their surroundings and of you and want to interact. It's perfectly normal and just trust that your baby will eat when he's hungry. My dd is a wiggle worm now that she's crawling and pulling up... she never wants to sit still. She usually starts to squirm after she's gotten full though. If she starts squirming when we start feeding I just sit her up in my lap and let her squirm a minute and then try it again and she'll usually eat after that. It does help if I have something on my shirt that distracts her so I can see the benefit of something like a necklace. In my opinion it's just a phase and not something that will turn into a big issue. The thing to remember is that they're not going to go hungry over playing.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 10:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Interacting with you while eating is a good thing- afterall, aren't meals a time for family to come together??
    It is not a behaviour which needs to be stopped..
    And a nursing necklace can be anything- you know the mardi gras bead necklaces you can get from the dollar store? Just wear one of those and let baby play with it while eating, if pinching is an issue..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:20 AM on Jan. 25, 2009