What do you all think is a good length of time to wait in between children?

I want to know when i should start trying for another child. My first son is 4 months old.

Thanks:)

kirtonmom

Asked by kirtonmom at 8:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Whenever you want! It's up to you when you think you are ready for another baby. I have a son that is going to be 3 months Monday and I'm 5 weeks pregnant. If you feel that you can do it, go for it.
    KJDsMommy

Answer by KJDsMommy at 9:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Obviously this is a personal choice and you're going to get different answers.

DH and I have been talking about this. Our son is 8 mo. old and we would like to have at least a 2 year difference. We may try this summer for a spring 2010 baby, which would make the kids less than 2 years apart, but oh well.

I had a great pregnancy, but I'm not in any hurry to get pregnant again. I really don't want to prolong it either, so we'll see what happens this summer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• After we had our first child, we wanted to have about 2 years in between our first and the next one. But that didn't happen, we ended up with 4 years in between and it was great. My oldest was old enough to understand that when mommy was bf'ing his baby brother that she couldn't jump up and get him things. I only had one in diapers at a time and my oldest loved helping with the baby. I was concerned about how close they woud be with such a big age difference, but now that they are 10 and 6 they are pretty good friends. And I felt that I really got to enjoy each stage of each boy's babyhood, toddler years, etc because they were so far apart in ages.

So while a 4 year age difference worked for us (we had a surprise baby #3 about 4 years after our second) it's really a personal decision. I'm sure that if we'd had the boys closer together I'd be singing the praises of that. Do what feels right for you and your family.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• its up to you! i had 3 in 5 yrs. worked for me.bad thing all in high school and college same time-expensive-good thing diapering done and over with. they all left home close to one another-lol
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 10:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I wanted to have my first out of diapers before we had another so we started ttc when our first daughter was 1 1/2. We didn't conceive til 6 months later so they wound up almost 3 yrs. apart (2 yrs and 10 mos). It worked out great because my oldest was completely potty trained and she was such a big helper. We want a third and I think we'd start trying just a little sooner so the gap was closer to 2 yrs. but I'm happy with 3 yrs. apart. Every family is different and you will know when you are ready for another child.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 11:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Up to you.

My doc says two years between pregnancies to give you bodyu recovery time.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I told my husband I wanted to wait at least a year before TTC again, so my body would have time to recover and so we'd have time with our son and not have to worry about having two babies around. We got pregnant when our son was 13 months old, and I'm really glad it happened when it did. We haven't had the second baby yet, so I don't know about how the age difference is going to be in that sense, but once my son hit toddlerhood in full force, if I hadn't already been pregnant I doubt I would have wanted to yet, so we would have ended up waiting, possibly until he was in school, at which point I wouldn't want to start over again. So that worked out well for us.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It is totally up to you. Depends on what you can handle and what your goals are later in life. So on and so forth,
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• it works out no matter what you do. I am 10 years older than my brother and 18 years older than my sister. we are all happy well developed (well- sometimes a lil odd but who isn't) people .
    my two are less than two years apart and I am pregnant with a third who will be five years younger than my youngest... I personally am looking forward to all of my children being self sustaining adults by the time I am 45.(or at least in college) My mom is 45 with a 7 year old... we are all happy... ( and oddly my 15 year old brother and I consider eachother close friends but we do still have a sense of sinbling rivalry toward the "baby of the family"- go figure)

no matter what- good luck and have fun. ultimately only you know when the right time is.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2009