My 7 month old still wakes once a night for feeding. Is this normal?

She wakes between 3:30 and 4:30. She falls asleep on her own (with Paci) and if she wakes earlier than 3, I can just give her her paci and she falls right back out, but by 3:30, she wants to nurse herself back to sleep. Should I just hang in there, or is this a bad habit it's time to break (like my peditrician thinks!)

LadyV73

Asked by LadyV73 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was still wakiing up once a night for a feeding at that age...I was told it was normal for a baby who's breastfeeding. Breast milk is used up faster than formula, that's why breast babies nurse more often form the start. In the end you need to do what feels right to you. I've found that pediatricians can only give you advice based on what they have been taught, or learned from their children. You are th only one who can tell for sure what is best for your child and you in the end.
    emtmom4

Answer by emtmom4 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• sounds normal to me. If you've established that baby is waking for no other reason (diaper change, gas, teething)than eating,then that is how your baby needs to eat at this particular time.
    callico

Answer by callico at 12:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• addi was having the same problem so our dr suggested we get her full on her solids before she goes to bed. so i feed her and nurse her right before she goes to bed and she has been sleeping about 7 hours straight now.
    addiraesmommy

Answer by addiraesmommy at 1:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• In some cases it's normal, but if your formula feeding he should be sleeping through the night without waking. Like some else said, get him nice and full before bed and he should sleep right through the night. My 4 month sleeps through the night and has for 2 months now. I now feed her a big bottle and put her to bed at 10-11pm. Do and try what works for you. Also, don't always go right for the bottle when he wakes in the middle of the night, if you're using it, try a pacifier frist. Or try a back rub while he's still in his crib and soothe him back to sleep.
    Lovingwife2pj02

Answer by Lovingwife2pj02 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Time to break the habit....key word habit..not a need.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 2:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• mine is almost 8 months old and he still wakes once every night for a feeding. I mean if we are hungry in the middle of the night what do we do we wake up and get ourselves something to eat right? So why can't we do that for them? I say just be patient I can see slowly that my son is getting out of it though. It takes time but it is worth it in the end when they get older and you can no longer hold them in your arms like you could when they were a baby.
    jaydensmom1205

Answer by jaydensmom1205 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2008