is my 4 day old baby constipated?

My daughter is 4 days old and she has not gone poop since this morning. she is crying so hard and when i felt her tummy it feels a little hard. how do I know if she is constipated and if she is there anything I can do for her?

Alorasmommy

Asked by Alorasmommy at 9:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you change her diaper, take her legs and gently move them in like a bicycle motion. This will help with any constipation and gas. It helps to keep it moving. Poor little baby..:(
    if this doesnt work..which always did with my babies...call your Dr. It could be something you are eating if u are nursing or she may need a different formula if you are bottle feeding.
    If you are nursing..Read the Womaly Art of Breastfeeding..or call a lactation specialist from like the hospital to help you with your diet..
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I doubt she is constipated. At this point, I'd do nothing. Breast or formula fed?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If you're worried about it talk to your doctor, most will say that babies bowel movements are all different. I would wait 24 hours. The hardness in her belly could be a number of different things.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If she seems to be straining, she might be a bit constipated. Since she is only 4 days I DON'T recommend juice, water or suppositories. But there are a few things you can do to help. Lay her on her back and work her legs back and forth, putting her knees to her chest. Hold them there for a few seconds each. You can also rub her belly, putting gentle pressure on the lower abdomen to help things work through. Good luck!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 9:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• breast milk and very rarely she will have formula
    Anonymous

• If she's had any formula recently, it might be the iron in it. But it hasn't been that long since she pooped, so unless the poop is hard, dry or pellet like when it DOES come, she's not constipated. She could be changing her pooping schedule.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Probably not constipated.
    If she is breastfed it's normal not to poop daily... they can go up to 2 weeks without pooping without a problem! Mine would go a week.
    Formula fed can go a few days too 3-5 days without any problem.
    Even if it looks like she is straining it's not a sign of constipation at this young age... because they are just learning how to poop, some babys always strain even if it's really loose.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• when babies are constipated, its not the lack of going, its the type of poop... ifshe has hard balls or globby poop.. that is constipation, i would call your ped... because a newborn should go multiple times... their system hasnt even begun to slow down.. that is usually around 6 weeks... that is when i had to call my doc, and ask he said that babies bodies start to take a break... not that iwas worried about constipation, but he went from going daily to every other day... there is a book called baby411... its the best baby book i have read... theres a whole chapter on poop... good luck hon, and congrats on your new baby
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2009