Tantrum during diaper change...

My son is 9 months old. For about a week now, hes been throwing tantrums while changing his diaper. Its not just every now and then, its EVERY...SINGLE....TIME. Its terribly frustrating, and its just getting worse, and worse with every time. I don't even want to change his diaper in a public restroom anymore because he screams like crazy. Just now, I changed him, and poop...everywhere.

I don't get it. And i don't know what to do to stop it. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Buy a new and amazingly obnoxious toy he can only have at changing time. Try to distract right now. Soon you will be able to do standing changes for wet ones and only have him lay down for the poops.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• The toy for diaper changes is great and I sing to the little one I take care of. It stops him cold. His mom does not sing to him and he is fascinated by it.. Just an idea...........
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 2:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• This will not be a popular way to fix this problem you are having. But here it goes. When My DD's wouldn't stay still when I was changing them I would pop them on the leg with my hand. And tell them to hold still. You do that enough they will stop.
    If you let a kid get away with thing. They will keep doing it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• This is about the age that children start to try to make certain that they get their way about everything. His goal is to make it so unpleasant for you that you will not change his diaper because a)he has to lie down and b)he has to be still. Never mind that he will stink and get a rash if you don't change him--he's not there yet. I raised my children before the days when spanking was considered abuse and we had to explain everything to our babies. When mine started raising a fuss because they had to have their diapers changed, I warned them once and then they got one swat on the thigh. That's all it took because their tantrum was rewarded with just a little bit of a sting. The result of that was it also curbed a lot of the other defiance and self-will.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• Really? Swatting a 9 month old? He is 9 months not 2... He has no concept of why you are popping his leg. It may seem effective but he stops moving because you hurt him and scared him not because he figured out that you wanted him to sit still... When the child has no ability to understand why they are being swatted it doesn't teach good behavior it startles them ans they automatically stop what they were doing until they recover...
    Anonymous

• Anything you can do to get his attention long enough to get the change done. I remember when dd was about that age I would have to sing, make funny faces, find an interesting toy, hell if I could change a diaper standing on my head I would have at that point.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• Maybe he has a rash or something that is causing him pain when being changed.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• Distract...my DD started throwing tantrums during diaper changes around that age too, and at 18 months she still does. I have to distract her while changing her. I usually gave her a colorful toy or I sing to her to calm her down while I do it.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• So poping the child on the leg and saying "Stop moving" Is not ok? Well it works. That is all I care about. I personally am not going to struggle with a kid to change a diaper.

Answer by louise2 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2012

• I did the same as louise2 and NannyB. A 9 month old is not stupid or mentally deficient in any way. They absolutely can and DO understand. Their attention span is much shorter, but they are already learning and absorbing everything around them. Catering to a tantrum when they are 9 months old only means that you will be fighting with tantrums for years to come. My boys were never frightened of me, nor were they traumatized. When they were 2, 4, and 5 I could take them anywhere and they sat quietly, played quietly, etc. Not because they were terrified, but because they understood what was and what wasn't acceptable. When I see a child throwing a tantrum and a frazzled mom pleading with them to stop two things come to mine. 1) You taught them this yourself, and 2) why must the rest of us listen to this? On cynical days I think that moms under 30 read about the 'terrible 2s' and decided it gave them a 'share the misery card'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2012