Tiny "dinks" on windshield, possibly from flying gravel

I have about 4-5 little pinpoint dinks on my windshield, maybe from driving on a road under construction or something. I just want to know if my husband is overreacting and possibly lying to me that these little dinks grow into full-fledged cracks in my windshield. Do they? We've had a lot of things break lately, one thing after another, and he's angry about now having to spend money buying me a whole new windshield.

Squeaky79

Asked by Squeaky79 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes, chips in the glass can spread into large cracks across the whole windshield, but it won't necessarily happen overnight. Also they can be repaired before they spread.  And like someone said, it would be more likely to happen in extreme temperature swings (hot air blasting cold glass or cold a/c blowing on a hot window).  I grew up driving on gravel roads and have had my share of stone chips.  Rather than replacing the whole windshield now, I'd look into repairing the chips and then see what your insurance will cover and save up for the deductible. 

canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I've always heard that they eventually will. I'm not sure how fast though.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• They could get worse. My dh had one of those on his windshield. Apparently one morning I turned the defrost on with real hot air and the windshield ended up cracking really bad. I believe your insurance will pay for you to have the windshield replaced, ours did.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes, dings can turn into huge cracks. It happens all the time.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I have heard that a windshield place can sand them out. I don't know if this takes care of the breakage problem or not. Call a place and ask. Compare your out of pocket cost of that , if what I heard is true, compared to getting the windshield replaced.

Answer by Bmat at 9:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes they can. If you have the dinks, then over time with the glass shrinking and expanding in the cold and hot, it will cause the dinks to turn into cracks. In some states (like FL) if you have a crack in your windshield, the state requires that the windshield is replaced with no cost to you by your insurance company (and you can get a ticket for driving with a crack in your windshield).
    But it usually doesn't happen overnight, it happens in time.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yes they will eventually spread. Go to autozone and buy the $11 kit to fill the little holes. It's simple.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2009