I am a new mommy to a beatiful baby boy...Owen. I am breastfeeding him and things are going very well...but I have a few questions. He feeds every 3 1/2 - 4 hours during the night time. But during the day he wants to feed every 40 minutes. Is this ok? He is a week old and one day today and is a very big boy...10 pounds 4 ounces.

Julie0039

Asked by Julie0039 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed both of my children and I know what you're going through! It is not unusual for a newborn who sleeps good intervals in the night to feed more often in the daytime. A couple of things to consider: Is he staying on long enough? Is he falling asleep and not getting much at a feeding? When nursing "on demand" babies often only nurse a little at a time because it's always there when they want it. I had to start letting my daughter get good and hungry (gave her a passifier and walked with her) before nursing because she wanted to graze ALL day. She started staying on longer and feeding less often. I hope this helps!
    emtmom4

Answer by emtmom4 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I thought I was prepared after reading in the "what to expect when expecting book" that they can nurse anywhere from 1 1/2 hours-4 hrs.Wrong! My son nursed ever half hour. It was very time consuming and exhausting. I wasn't getting any sleep.But, that's they way it was and had to be for a few months till his tummy got bigger. His doctor said feed him when he's hungry no matter how often that is. My son is 3yrs old now. Very healthy,slim and tall for his age. It was normal. I was what he needed at the time. The eating evens out and the weight evens out.
    callico

Answer by callico at 12:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• It is okay. If you want to get anything done it is hard. Have you tried to give him a pacifier? Some babies like to suck a lot.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Sounds perfect. He'll slow down eventually.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Yep, it's normal. I felt like my first daughter ate constantly when she was first born!
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 5:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2008