My 17 year old DD refuses to watch her dad's girlfriend's children

Me and my soon to be ex husband have 3 children together, a DD who is 17, a son who is 13 and another son who is 8. He moved in with his girlfriend about 3 weeks after we decided to separate. My kids go to his home one weekend a month. Well this is his weekend. My DD just called me saying that her dad and his girlfriend told her that they are going out tonight, she said fine, she will take the boys to a movie. Her dad said great, GF will go get her kids and ya'll can go. My DD said "wait, I'm willing to take my brothers but I didn't offer to take her kids and I am not willing to. Both my ex and my DD called me. I don't think she should be expected to watch his GF's kids, TBH I think during his time with them he should be home anyway. He told her she has to watch them but I had already told her she doesn't.
Do you think she should be expected to watch dad's GF's kids so that they can go out on a date?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• No way,its very wrong for the dad to even ask!!!!
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2012

• On top of what everyone else has said, I would have a problem with my 17 yo DD watching these boys out of the home when I wasnt sure of their behavior. What if they started running around the theater, or went to concessions without asking, or even the bathroom? Keeping your eye on 4 boys, 2 of whom might be unruly, in a public place is a lot to ask. They could screw around and take off anywhere, and its not like she can leave the other 2 to chase them down!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2012

• Just like any other babysitting job, if she's going to babysit for unrelated children she should tell him she wants so much an hour, and to be paid before they leave. She should have the right to say no, just as she would be able to with anyone else's kids. She could tell them that if they want a sitter they need to pay her for it, otherwise no.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• If he only has them one weekend a month, he needs to stay at home that weekend and spend time with his kids. He still got the other 3 weekends to do dates.
    mamabear484

Answer by mamabear484 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• I agree with what your DD is doing. They go over one a weekend and he chooses that weekend to go out? What kind of dad is that?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• No, I agree that it isn't her job, nor do I think older siblings should watch their younger siblings or any other child. I do however teach my kids to be gracious and sometimes (not all the time) suck it up and help family/close friends out. Her dad is her family, his girlfriend well that's not someone she should even feel obligated to help, but her dad is different. There could be outside issue's, I am sure, that I do not know about it. I am answering the question from a very basic point of view.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• luckyseven, the fact is, she doesn't want to and it's not her job. One can argue that as the older child, she should watch her younger siblings from time to time but these aren't her siblings
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2012

• they might be bad
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2012

• I'm sorry I still think a few hours is not that big of deal. They weren't going off on a weekend romance and expecting her to watch all of the kids all weekend long. They were going to a movie and possibly dinner.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2012

• Nope
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2012