Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who I call to ask about a possible illegal tax garnishment?

A vocational school I attended last year sent me a copy of a tax form called 1098-T that says I owe them money when my time of enrollment was supposed to have been covered by a grant that I applied for through the school and got approved. My grant was for 3700 and I was only in school for 2 weeks, and the total cost of the program was 13000 for 13 months, so I don't know how I owe them money, but the tax form says I owe them 2600 and the original form has been sent to the IRS.
I think the school is trying to screw me. Is there a way I can find out if its a legitimate garnishment?

Answer Question

Asked by Rose24387 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Call the IRS office in your state, you can find their number in the government pages of your local phone book. They can at least point you in the right direction. If you failed your classes though, your grant would have been revoked and you would owe that money.

    Answer by megmckn at 9:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • Oh I read the rest of your question. If you dropped out you owe the money for the semester you were registered for...dropping out is just like failing.

    Answer by megmckn at 10:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • i believe if you dont finish the program you have to pay back the grant.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • The other posters are right, if you didn't fulfill your time for when the grant was given, you have to pay it back.

    Answer by slw123 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

  • If you got the grant and didn't complete the program then you have to pay that back.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
2009 stimulus check

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
The shakes