I have a wedding to attend next week and would like to have a couple of beers my mother in law will be taking care of my son. I dont know the procedure to pumping and dumping if i would like to have a few beers. Can someone answer this for me. I have breastmilk storded in the freezer for this occassion. But i do not know how long after i have to wait to nurse again and do i have to pump and dump before i nurse and is it one hour after each drink you are suppose to wait?

Julie0039

Asked by Julie0039 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think it's a few hours atleast depending on how much you consume in the time you consume it in... If you only have 3 or 4 over the evening I would just wait and pump the next morning.. as for pump and dump, i'm not sure how much would still be in your system for it, but i would dump the first one atleast just to be safe
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 11:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I agree with pp. But I was told a beer a day helps with production. Make sure you defrost your bm before you leave. I usually put it in the frig or in warm water. DO NOT MICROWAVE
    tsc2007

Answer by tsc2007 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• you don't need to pump and dump.....except maybe to keep your production up or relieve engorgement...alcohol leaves your breastmilk the same way it leaves your blood...it just takes 2-3 hours after you stop drinking, so you will want to wait at least that long to nurse. http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 6:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2008