Who to leave the children to in a will.

My children are 3 adn 7 months. My parents are 46 and 47 and my inlaws are 57 and 59. My SIL is married with no children (not to their choosing, she just hasn't gotten preg yet) and my sister will be married this summer. We also have other siblings that aren't married.

My parents are our first choice as far as who to leave them with, but who next? Should we choose one of our siblings, who may be struggling financially with their own children? Or should we choose my financially stable, but older in laws?

What would you do, and why?

Nena821

Asked by Nena821 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would pick the most stable family member. We are putting our parents, and then when our siblings start to settle down and have children, we will change it to one of them.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I would choose who I think is best to raise my kids the way that I would want them to be raised. If one person is financially stable does that mean they will care more or less than the other one who is NOT financially stable. Having money doesnt determine how someone will raise your kids. Who in your heart do you think would be most suitable, more apt to follow your lead and requests in the way you want your kids to be raised. If there is life insurance money I am sure you will be thinking about which person will handle the money properly, and make sure your kids go to college, etc.

MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 10:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I have my will very very detailed. There are certain ways I want the money to be used. Her college money, etc, I allready have this worked in with the banks to. My daughter would go to someone I know, trust, respect and love,............and someone I know loves my daughter and will give her all the love and support she would need. AND raise her the way I want her to be raised.
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

• I chose my little sister and her husband. A. And most importantly, they are responsible, loving, and financially doing well. And B. I am a sap and after watching that movie with Kate Hudson where she got those three kids and at the end it is revealed that it's because she was most like their mother... and my sister is most like me...she knows my ins and outs and our history... I liked that.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• We, as of right now - this has changed over the years, have asked my sister and her husband to take our kids if something happened to us. When we had our first son almost 11 years ago, we had asked close friends of ours because my sister was only 18. We decided against our parents because they had already raised their kids. My in laws are in their early 60s and my dad is 50 and has only been married to my step mom for 2 1/2 years (my mom passed away 5 years ago) and I wouldn't ask them to take on 3 young boys. But you know your family best and could best decide who would be best to be the ones to raise your children.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• who do you want to raise your kids, and who would be most willing to do so?
    that is the person you leave them with should the unthinkable happen to you and dh. it's not always the person who is the most financialy secure, but the ones who would love the kids like their own, and have the physical health (and yes financialy ability) to do so
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2009