how do i tell the grandparents i am homeschooling my child?

how do i say it?? they are those kind of people who are very judgmentel, i dont know to tell them!! i am clueless here!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• whose children are they yours or your parents? its your decision and you should not be afraid of raising them for some one else
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Just tell them. They can be judgemental all they want. It's your child, not theirs. If they start having a problem with it, then just don't bring up the subject with them anymore. It doesn't really affect them anyway.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 10:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Just tell them. They are your children and you need to make the decisions for your children. Both my parents and my SO's mom are very happy to understand that we make the decisions for our DD no matter what they think. Yes we weigh their opinion but it might not have any bearing on the decision that we make.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Mom Dad, I'm homeschooling my children. Then tell them why if you feel that there is need. And say that it's not open for a vote it is what you decided.
    LadybugsMonkeys

Answer by LadybugsMonkeys at 10:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yeah... whatever everyone else said. You can listen to their concerns, but refuse to argue with them. It's sometimes good to have a generic response you can just repeat back to them.. something like "I appreciate your concern, but my decision stands". You could also print off some information supporting your decision & addressing their concerns to give to them when you decide to tell them.

G'luck!

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• And wanted to add..... include this in your 'information' packet to them   Hehehe... They might snort at it now... but mark my words... they'll want one in a year or 2:

http://www.greathomeschooltshirts.com/LargeImage.asp?Image=images_shirts/stages_lg.jpg

:-)

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I know what you're going through! My family all felt the same way (on my dad's side). The first words out of everyone's mouth was "what about socialization"? You will definately get tired of hearing that!

I told my dad that I had a new job. He said "oh yeah?" I said "yeah, I'm going to be a teacher...I'm homeschooling my kids".

Of course that opened up into 50 million questions, but it was a memorable way to tell him, lol. I think they've gotten over it for the most part. I just ignore the ones that bug me about it...."don't ask, don't tell" policy.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• and you need to tell them why?
    if education comes up in conversation, sure let them know your decision, but other than that, why do they need to know?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• bi-polarmommy put my thoughts into words.
    When they ask what school the kids are attending THEN tell them, and utilize all of the above information.
    A friend of mine once gave some excellent advice... when someone is ready to know something, they will ask.
    Laura1229, thanks for that link... I am going to have a look at it right now!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 3:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• your the parent, your the mom (hopefully your S.O. agrees with said decision if they are around) and just TELL them and then tell them to get over it. They will.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 6:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009