How long is breastmilk good for in a bottle if he does not finish it right away.

Julie0039

Asked by Julie0039 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think on the Can it will tell you after an hour, discard it. Read the can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• It depends on if it's been frozen beforehand or it's freshly pumped. I have a chart right in front of me so I'll give you the run down ;~)
    Fresh~ At room temp, 4-8hrs; Refrigerated, 4-8 days; frozen, 3-6 months
    Thawed in refrigerator~ room temp, 4 hours; refrigerated, 24 hours
    Thawed in warm water~ Do Not leave at room temp! Refrigerate for up to 4 hours
    *Never refreeze breast milk!!
    emtmom4

Answer by emtmom4 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i was told by my son's pediatrician when he used a bottle that once he started drinking out of the bottle it is only good for an hour. after that just throw it away.. if you are discarding alot of formula then only make half the amount, you can always make more if need be
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 11:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• if its pumped right from the breast 3 hrs, if warmed up after refrigerated 1 hr, stays good in refrigerated for 3 days. regular freezer 3 to 6 months deep freezer 1 year..
    arkncld08

Answer by arkncld08 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I was told by doctors, after he has started drinking from the bottle, it should be discarded within one hour. Room temperature or refridgerated, one hour. That's if baby has already started drinking from it. He has gotten in milk kept longer than that and gotten sick (vomitting and fussy). That 3-4 hour things sounds strange.
    callico

Answer by callico at 12:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• and its left in the fridge, only supposetobe good4 an hour, but i've left it for like 3hrs...i breastfedmy daughter strictly for about a year
    karen128

Answer by karen128 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i was told an hour
    if he has already sucked some from the bottle, then keeping it around for more than an hour allows bacteria to start grow.
    lmybo

Answer by lmybo at 2:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2008