C-Section with baby #2..?

I had an emergency c-section with my first a few months ago. We're not wanting #2 for some time, but I had a dream where my first was a year old, and I was going through another c-section...(not sure if it was emergency or not)...and I was so scared. Scared because we didn't know if it was going to end up being a natural birth (I've never gone through that so I wouldn't know how it feels), and scared that it could be a c-section (knowing how it feels before/during/after). Did anyone have that first c-section and then just schedule your second child as a c-section? Or did you just let it happen naturally. I've always wanted to experience the natural childbirth, and I know I want child #2 when that time comes...but I'm scared either way now!!!!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• MANY women have "VBAC"s as it's usually safer than a repeat cesarean (although finding aprovider is sometimes more tricky). Depending on why you'd had your first one, how you've healed, and a little more-- you can have your baby naturally, too.

There are some ways to better ensure your wishes (like using a midwife, for example).

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I was always told by Ob/Gyn's that when you have a c-section, you have to have c-sections after that because it is safer. Having a vaginal birth would cause something to rupture? I'm pretty sure that was the reasoning behind it.
    Anonymous

• I just let it happen I didnt schedule #2 or #3. But after so may hrs they did another c-section. I think it is much better then Knowing when it is going to happen and dwelling if you are already worried.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• The "Once a cesarean, Always a cesarean" is a myth. MOST women will "qualify" for a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC), fortunately.
    There is a lot of information and support to help women that have the desire to learn & investigate.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I had an emergency C section with my first child . When it came time for # 2 I was told by my doctor that I could not have a natural delivery not because it was to risky in his opinion but because the hospital would not allow it. Check with your local hospital. I live in California and I have heard that most hospitals wont. I was told to go to UCLA if I wanted A VBAC and I was still working at the time and would not have been able to make appointments 55 miles one way. Good luck !
    JunoDolly

Answer by JunoDolly at 12:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i know how you feel i had a c-section with first but i dont want one with this next baby and my doctor wont allow me to try vbac and it pisses me off so bad and i'm scared to just go through with another c-section
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I can totally relate to your situation. I had an emergency c-section with my 5 month old son, and I was SO mentally unprepared. I debated whether to have a scheduled c-section with the next one (a ways off still), and I've decided to go for a VBAC. Birth is a BIG part of my life (I'm studying to be a midwife), and I need to know that my body can do this, that I am capable. I will be in the hospital again, just in case it doesn't work out. I know that it was necessary before, because of the way my son was, but I have faith that I can do this. Do your research, and do what's best for you. If you decide to go for a VBAC, make sure your doctor will do one (some hospitals and doctors won't because of the risk of uterine rupture at your c-section scar, even though it's about 1%). Also, be aware that being induced ups your risk of uterine rupture. Good luck! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had a c-sec with my 1st baby 19months ago and I am scheduled for a 2nd one this coming june....why..well my dr does't do vbacs at all, becasue of the risk of ruputure and then it become an emergency. I would of told her to do another one again....I did not want to do vag. delivery with my 1st one I was scared of going through the pain plus call me selfish here but I was not crazy of having my vaginal streached out and becoming loose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My doc told me that after having an emergency c section that its important to have another but if watched carefully u can try to have a natural- i was so scared though that the same thing that happened with my first birth (which ended in an emergency c section) would happen again so i automatically went with a c/s my second which made me have to get one with my 3rd and 4th and now im pregnant with my 5th expecting my next c/s in june now when i look back i wish i had tried natural birth with my second but after being in labor for 46 hours i was through!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2009