what does the mucus plug look like and when about do you lose it?

This is my 2nd pregnancy, but I dont recall ever losing it with my first and I keep hearing about it. I am 35 weeks today.

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 11:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine looked like a bright yellow wad of snot. It can come out in pieces, but they look like mucus that you cough up or blow out your nose. It may have blood in it, or not. It's not much of a sign of anything, because it can fall out weeks before you go into labor, or not. Mine came out about a week before I went into labor.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I never lost mine with either pregnancies either.

I do know even if you do lose it, it doesn't really indicate when you are going to go into labor.

Congrats!!
    Anonymous

• i think mine came out in bits that looked grey and pink and then just random mucus...that was a while ago though like a week, week and a half and i havent gone into labor yet.
    hopefulsynclare

Answer by hopefulsynclare at 11:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You can lose pieces of it for a good while before labor. It is a sign of impending labor but not an immediate sign. It resembles a lightly bloody snot I have always thought. Mucus-y and somewhat pink. Gross right? I know. Anyway it means you are on your way but not necessarily there yet. With my second daughter it made it's appearance and 3 weeks labor I still had not gone into labor. If you have anymore signs of labor or are really worried about this then I would call your doctor. If this is it though then I personally wouldn't look too much into it.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• it looks like a big booger and its has mucus and it doesnt come out till the baby is about to come out
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2009