Would you be offended by...

My daughter looks nothing like me. She has olive/really tan skin. Brown eyes. Dark blonde/light brown hair. When she was first born she had jaundice so it made her complexion even more darker. Now when we go out, sometimes people will hint at whether she is hispanic or mixed. (She in no way is dark enough to be mistaken as mixed.) People/family stating she looks hispanic really bothers me. In my belief, I wouldnt inter-racial date or anything. It's not something that suits me. Would you be offended or be bothered by people/family asking about your child's race?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You are going to get alot of hateful responses to this question!!

But for me-YES it would bother me, because I feel like it attacks my character. Is it the fathers baby? Or was I sleeping around???
    Anonymous

• my daughter is the same way, dark skin while DH & I are both pale.
    I just tell people that ask that it's the native american heritage of both DH & I.

funny thing is, my cousin is the only dark skinned one in the entire family, I always wondered if my aunt was faithful LOL then comes along my DD who looks like my cousin, I guess my aunt was faithful after all :o)

I wouldn't get offended by it though, that's just silly to get offended by someone asking an honest question. it's normal to question things like that if the child doesn't seem to "fit in" with the rest of the family.
    Anonymous

• i have a similar but different problem. Hubby and I both have dark hair, dark brown eyes and freckles. Our skin is very pale. Yet we still get comments over our blue eye blond curly haired son. It is called recessive genes for a reason people. Sheesh,

My brother on the other hand is very dark like your daughter. He hates that people think he is latino or something. People did not know we were siblings growing up because we look so different.
    nycte

Answer by nycte at 11:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't, maybe somewhere down the blood line you have indian in your genes.

Anonymous

• No, its just curiosity of the person and they mean no harm by it.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My son is half filipino...for some strange reason people always think he's hispanic (he doesnt look hispanic at all). But no, it doesnt really bother me. I usually either politely correct them or just let it go. I don't really care.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I tried to word my question to where it wouldnt sound racist. But some people just look for arguments. She looks like her father. Hes got the same eyes, hair, skin tone. His family is German heritage. I'm really pale with blue eyes, light blonde hair. So I can see where they wonder. But it's more of a character thing as Anon- stated. I have never slept around, and it does feel like I am being accused. Especially when the people havent seen her father.
    Anonymous

• no i'm not offended by my children looking bi-racial, i'm offended by people who think there is something wrong with being/looking bi-racial!
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Right on bi-polarmommy!!
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 12:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Theres nothing wrong with it if your children are bi-racial. However I think some people look down upon it, especially if you are a younger mother. I think it's fine to be who you are. But if my child isnt of mixed ethnics, it can be offending
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2009