Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a single parent.....can i still file taxes?

I am a single parent of three. I have been a full-time student for the past year with no job. Can I still file taxes? I am concerned because I need to file for financial aid purposes. But since I was unemployed all last year could I still file?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I also do not have taxable income, and there is an option on the FAFSA application that states I will not file taxes for the previous year. What winds up happening is I get audited by financial aid, which really just means I have to go in and talk to a counselor and show what income I do get and why I'm not required to file.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

  • if you had no income, you have nothing to file.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • I just asked my husband who works with taxes. To file you have to had income of some form. If there was no income at all you will not be able to file. As for financial aid you will have to talk to the financial aid office at your college.

    Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 2:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

  • Do you get welfare/wic, to cover your expenses, or are you living with a relative.. if you still are getting money through a program, or child support, it is still income that you need to file. Even if it's not taxable. IF not and you are living with a relative, you do not have to file your taxes, but the relative can then claim you on her taxes as a dependent, in which case, I would talk to relative about how you want to work that out.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

  • No, I have my own house, and the only income I get is child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

  • Nothing is preventing you from filing. Just because you are not requried to file doesn't mean that the is a penalty for filing. In fact, last year people had to file even if they weren't required to get the rebate checks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

  • Try filing online for free at You may be entitled to a stimulus check and other credits.

    Answer by nanaevelyn at 10:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

Next question in Money & Work
Baby and Work

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Would you be offended by...