• In the Spotlight:

Cradle cap?

My baby is starting to get a little cradle cap. I've tried baby oil, put it on for 15 minutes, brush it, then give her a bath but it doesn't seem like it's helping. Any remedies that work well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What worked really good for me (and smelled good) was after bathing I applied baby lotion to the head. The doctor suggested and it worked!
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You really don't need to do anything for it. It will go away with time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My babies have never gotten cradle cap, but they occasionally get dry heads..
    I use olive oil and baking soda, scrub the head in the bath with a baby cloth, and rinse..
    Vitamin E is also a good alternative..
    Baby oil actually clogs the pores, so it's a bad idea to use it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I have heard that lotion actually causes craddle cap. My cousin told me to use a clarifying shampoo (I used one from Redken) when you bath your baby. Gently brush the scalp when the shampoo is on his/her head. Be very careful though because it WILL hurt the babies eyes. This method did work well for me.
    daisy25420

Answer by daisy25420 at 2:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• mix baking soda into a paste with the shampoo and comb it while its on the scalp... cleared up my daughters... you just have to do it like every couple weeks because no matter what it tends to come back.... depending on how old baby is maybe have someone feed him/her a bottle while combing scalp if not content in tub for very long
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 2:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• oh and btw .. i also tried the baby oil...the key is to leave it on over night, get it to really absorb to the scalp and get under the scalies... again have someone feed him or her a bottle while you scrape it off in the morning if the baby isnt content
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 2:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Use baby shampoo. While lathered up, use a baby brush and give a good (but gentle!) scrubbing. Rinse very well.

Worked with each of the boys anyway....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my ped told me selsum blue but i was using head and shoulders myself so i used it onhim and it went away for the most part. i used the sensitive stuff
    Levink_08

Answer by Levink_08 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009