How do you give each of your children enough time & attention?

I feel like no matter what I do I cannot give adequate attention to each of my children. I have 10 & almost 6-year old daughters and a 2 1/2 month old son. My husband & I both work 40-hour workweeks & cutting back on work is financially not an option for either of us. I try to engage in "family fun times" where I'll play board games, put on music & dance, anything I can think of to have fun with the girls. I spend as much face-to-face time as I can with the baby. Maybe I'm doing okay and I just feel like I'm lacking. My 10-year old is pretty independent & enjoys alone time reading or whatever however my 5 1/2 year old is very clingy & would rather be right up under me than playing in her room. And the baby obviously needs the most attention at this point. How do you other moms do it between work & housework? How much is enough?

alleyway.ink

Asked by alleyway.ink at 12:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I included my kids in the house work. They help with dinner, dishes laundry. It is good quality time, plus it teaches them how to do these things for when they are older. My kids love it.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I would suggest having the older kids help plan free time activities so they feel they are in control and take responsibility for the family fun. It sounds like you are doing a great job to me. My daughter just turned 6 and has been clingy and under me all the time also. I find if I make time to read her a story or sit together when she is clingy, then she gets over it somewhat for a while. Maybe you could involve her in taking care of the baby a little, something like, "If you show your brother this book while I make dinner, then we can have some together time right after dinner."
    When you have three kids, you are definitely outnumbered, but then again it helps the kids realize they are self reliant and able to do for themselves.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 5:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• quit the job. won't have daycare price. have more time to spend. kids will be so happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I am a SAHM and I still feel like I don't have the time to give the kids the attention they deserve. My son is autistic and we deal with a lot of therspies and dr appts so I feel it is hard to fit everything in 24 hrs. I just try to include them in everything I do. I take them grocery shopping and we make a scavanger hunt out of it. I let them help me sort laundry and I will hide diff item in clothes and let them try to hunt the items out. I just try to make every necessary chore a game and include the kids in it. Hope this helps some.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• To "anonymous": we don't pay for daycare. My husband and I work shifts opposite of one another. Thanks anyhow. ;)
    alleyway.ink

Answer by alleyway.ink at 3:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2008