My hospital wouldn't let me use my cell phone when I was in there.

Did this happen to you? Why don't they let you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ohh thats unfortunate....
    I used my cell phone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Isn't it because of the equipment? idk, I didn't have a phone at either of my births.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• There should be certain areas you can use your cell phone and the rooms should be one of them. Not sure why you couldn't use your phone. Most of the nurses carry hospital cell phones so they can be paged and answer calls while on duty.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• They didn't because of several reasons. One is HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Privacy Act). They have to protect the privacy of all thier patients. If you have a cell phone, you could be talking about other patients or take pictures of people. A direct violation which could cause you and the hospital fines. It is for everyone's protection. There are certain areas where you can use them. They will tell you where.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i had a cell for my birth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yes anon. I agree, that is one of the reasons, but in areas of the hospital where sensitive cardiac equipment is not used you still cannot use cell phones. (Or, rather, you aren't supposed to.) They use HIPPA to enforce this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• We all had cell phones in the room, all 4 of us. Here you can have 3 people in the room with you, so theirs plus mine equals 4. They didn't say anything at all to us.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Most won't.
    Picture this... you have some horrible illness and you want to keep it secret. Some bozo with a phone glued to his ear walks by just as your doctor is telling you about treatment options. The unknown person on the other end of the phone now knows about your illness. They may or may not know YOU. What if they do know you and recognize your voice?
    Hospitals face stiff penalties for violations of HIPAA.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• its for the cardiac monitoring equipment called telemetry. Sometimes a phone won't effect it but sometimes it does so they just make it a rule across the board
    bearcat84

Answer by bearcat84 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It interferes with IV infusion pumps and monitoring equipment, so they say. I used it anyway. I work in a hospital, and the staff use their cell phones all the time, so who knows.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2009